Grand-Ma Binfords Tea Cakes
  Re: (...)
This is just for fun, but good too. This recipe was used at least as far back as 1890--you can tell it was modified sometime in the 20 th century by one of the ingredients. I'm posting it exactly as cousin Mina Rea Cook wrote it. Lydia was my grandmother and Grand Ma Binford was her mother.
"Lydia would often talk about how her mother would hang these cookies up, tied in a flour sack to keep the kids from eating them up. She said they would rattle when you touched the sack. The older they got the better."
1 C. butter or oleo creamed
2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 & 1/2 C sugar
1 tsp soda
4 cups flour
Mix all ingredients except flour. Gradually add flour and mix well. Roll out on floured board. Bake at 325 for 8-10 minutes. (If dough is too hard to handle may be chilled)"
It doesn't say it but you obvously have to cut the dough into cookies before baking!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Grand-Ma Binfords Tea Cakes by Old Bay (This is just for fun...)
Thank you for sharing your vintage recipe and story with us. I just love hearing about what they cooked and baked years ago when they didn't have our modern conveniences yet.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Grand-Ma Binfords Tea Cakes by Mare749 (Thank you for sharin...)
Mina Rae, love the name!! cookie sounds good too!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grand-Ma Binfords Tea Cakes by cjs (Mina Rae, love the n...)
I love the stories, too! The recipes just come to life.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Grand-Ma Binfords Tea Cakes by Half_Baked (I love the stories, ...)
Quote:

I love the stories, too! The recipes just come to life.

Which is why I'm such a sucker for old cookbooks, there are always stories to tell!

Thanks, Bill

PJ
PJ