Can I freeze pesto?
  Re: (...)
I don't usually make this, but decided to try it since I have a bumper crop of basil. It turned out great! Now, I'm wondering if I could freeze some of it in ice cube trays, then put them into a freezer bag or container. I want to be able to thaw one or two at a time to put into soup or stew. Any ideas?

Billy, thanks again for the recipes. I used the one with sun-dried tomatoes and chipotles. Very tasty!
Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Can I freeze pesto? by Mare749 (I don't usually make...)
You're very welcome. I have a bunch more [so does Jean], so if you want some.........I have only tried 2, Jean's Basil Pesto and the Cilantro Pesto.

Freezing Pesto
Thanks to olive oil, pesto retains its bright color when frozen. Just drop a tablespoon of pesto into each section of an ice tray, and freeze. Remove the frozen cubes and transfer them to a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag.

Or skip the ice tray, and spoon the pesto directly into a plastic bag or container to freeze. Let the pesto thaw for a few hours before you use it. Pesto will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months and in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

http://ask.metafilter.com/23557/What-do-...darn-basil
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Can I freeze pesto? by bjcotton (You're very welcome....)
I freeze my pesto by spreading out on a b. sheet fairly thin. Makes for a nice flat packet in the freezer and also it's easy to just 'knock off' a hunk when you need it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Can I freeze pesto? by Mare749 (I don't usually make...)
I've got 2 yr old pesto in my freezer--still good. Basil,cilantro,parsley and sun dried tomato pestos--All freeze well. Make some of the roasted tomato basil soup I posted. It freezes well too! Good way to use 4 cups of basil!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Can I freeze pesto? by Old Bay (I've got 2 yr old pe...)
Oh, I most definately will be making that soup, Bill! That's probably going to be my new favorite soup recipe.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."