Dinner tonite, BBQ Cabbage!
  Re: (...)
Couldn't wait to tell you my plan for tonite's dinner. It'll be Jean's stuffed BBQ cabbage (from Paula Deen I think) and some lovely chicken sausages stuffed with apple and gouda with homemade egg noodles in butter (the fake kind) on the side. Can't wait till James gets home to try it.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Dinner tonite, BBQ Cabbage! by farnfam (Couldn't wait to tel...)
Did I miss that recipe Cis? That sounds really good. I just got a new Paula Deen cookbook, Paula Deen Celebrates. Haven't even browsed through it.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Dinner tonite, BBQ Cabbage! by bjcotton (Did I miss that reci...)
It was only a little while ago Billyj, but maybe you were busy with Fredia. Here's a copy and paste of the recipe:

Barbecued Cabbage Recipe courtesy Paula Deen, 2007
5 slices bacon, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 cup chopped onion
1 medium green cabbage
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon House Seasoning, recipe follows

Add bacon and onion to skillet and cook until just beginning to brown (about 3 to 5 minutes). Drain bacon and onion in a strainer over a bowl and reserve the drippings.
Crumble a piece of aluminum foil into a ring about 3-inches in diameter.

Cut the core out of the cabbage about 3-inches down towards the center and in a circle about 3-inches in diameter.

Add the bacon and onion mixture to the barbecue sauce. Prop the cabbage upright on the aluminum foil ring (cavity facing upright). Spoon some of the reserved bacon drippings into the cavity. Place the bacon and onion mixture into the cavity along with the butter. Brush the outside of the cabbage with the remaining reserved bacon drippings and season the cabbage with House Seasoning. Have the grill set to medium heat and place aluminum foil ring and cabbage on top of grill.

Cover and grill the cabbage until tender. When it's done it will be easy to pierce with skewer, roughly 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

To serve, peel off any of the charred outer leaves and discard. Cut the cabbage into wedges and serve.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

My 'house seasoning is a little different -
2 parts of kosher salt to 1 part of each garlic powder and white pepper.

I used 4 slices of bacon and it was so lean, I barely got a T. of fat when I drained it - so I'm thinking the dish was not too ( ) bad for us given it's a Paula Deen recipe...plus it didn't even need that 1 T. butter.

and here's the link where Jean posted her picture of it.

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...=true#Post34861
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Dinner tonite, BBQ Cabbage! by farnfam (It was only a little...)
I was just thinking about this, Cis! How did you like it?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner tonite, BBQ Cabbage! by cjs (I was just thinking ...)
Oh cj, it was yummylicious!!! May the recipe gods forgive me but here are the little tweaks I gave it: used just a bit of bulk sausage instead of bacon, used garlic, oil and adobo seasoning instead of bbq sauce and house seasoning. James just loved it!! Will absolutely make this again and again whenever there are little cabbages around.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Dinner tonite, BBQ Cabbage! by farnfam (Oh cj, it was yummyl...)
there's so much we can do with this - little cornbeef, minced up in there..............
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner tonite, BBQ Cabbage! by cjs (there's so much we c...)
some anonymous person was checking this out - haven't made it in a long time. I bet we could do it in the oven also, if there is snow on the ground....hmmmmm.
www.achefsjourney.com