Picnic Pack
  Re: (...)
Hi All,
I've been thinking of making a picnic supper for Thursday. We just got a small boat and the weather looks like it's going to be great here for a boat picnic on Thursday. James thought maybe chicken. Something special but not too complicated and of course packs and travels well. What kinds of menus come to mind for you? Please share your ideas and Thanks in advance.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Picnic Pack by farnfam (Hi All,[br]I've been...)
What about a muffaletta? Make it early or even the night before so the flavors meld. Wrap it up tight and chill really well with something heavy on top. Next day, take it out and slice thru so it's easy to handle, then wrap back up and keep cold in a cooler. Maybe make your favorite pasta salad to go with? I've been wanting to try that BLT pasta salad.....hmmmm.....think I will!

Have fun on your new boat!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Picnic Pack by Mare749 (What about a muffale...)
[blockquote]Quote:

I've been wanting to try that BLT pasta salad.....hmmmm.....think I will!

If you're talking about the BLT Pasta in #63, that was sooo good! Unless there's a cold version out there I've overlooked.....

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Picnic Pack by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Ooops, guess I must have been thinking of something else. My brain is turning to mush these days! Well, it sounds like a good idea anyway, to make a cold pasta salad with BLT.

That just reminded me of something! The other day when Ron was channel chasing, I caught a 2 minute segment of Rachael Ray and she was making a pasta salad with green salsa, I think. I'll look it up and see if I can find it for you.
Edited to add: Just looked this up. I thought it sounded good for something kind of different, however I have not made it yet.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mac and Jack Salad Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound macaroni elbows or cavatappi corkscrew shaped hollow pasta
Salt
1 cup frozen corn -- defrosted
1 red bell pepper -- chopped
1 small red onion -- chopped
4 ribs celery -- chopped
Black pepper
8 ounce brick Monterey pepper jack cheese -- diced
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar -- eyeball it
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil -- eyeball it
1 cup store bought tomatillo salsa (mild -- green) or chipotle salsa (hot, smoky red)
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves or flat-leaf parsley

Bring water to a boil, salt it and add pasta.

While pasta water is coming up to a boil and cooking, combine corn, pepper, onion and celery in a bowl with pepper Jack cheese. Season the veggies with salt and pepper.

Run pasta under cold water to cool it and drain it well. Add pasta to vegetables and cheese.

Place vinegar in a small bowl and whisk in extra-virgin olive oil, then fold in salsa. Pour sauce over salad and toss to coat evenly. Garnish salad with cilantro or parsley and serve.

Yield: 4 servings

Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

Maryann

"If you're talking about the BLT Pasta in #63, that was sooo good! Unless there's a cold version out there I've overlooked....."

Thanks for mentioning this PJ, I want to make this for my brother when he comes back from Nova Scotia next Monday. It's just the type of pasta he loves. When you made this, what did you have with it? I'm thinking of maybe having chicken with it.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Picnic Pack by Mare749 ("If you're talking a...)
I don't remember what I served the first time I made this but the second time, I used more bacon and served it straight up! Chicken would be good, I tend to gravitate towards pounding it down, dredging in flour w/seasonings, and lightly sauteeing. That seems to make everyone happy!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Picnic Pack by pjcooks (I don't remember wha...)
I think I posted a pasta cobb salad that had chicken, bacon and blue cheese. It is delish...

It was back on a pasta salad recipe post a while back.

I can try and post it again later.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Picnic Pack by esgunn (I think I posted a p...)
Quote:

I think I posted a pasta cobb salad that had chicken, bacon and blue cheese. It is delish...

It was back on a pasta salad recipe post a while back.

I can try and post it again later.

I think Billy and I bumped this up at the same time, so I deleted mine. That does sound good, and I'd throw an avocado in there cause I love them!

PJ
PJ
Got it! Thanks PJ for bumping this up and thanks Erin for posting. I must have forgotten to copy that one. Sounds good.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Picnic Pack by Mare749 (Got it! Thanks PJ f...)
What about a big fat bacon and egg pie. We make ours with lightly cooked onion and peas. and millions of salt and pepper. We also prick the yokes, although it is hardly necessary, I put a few extra yokes in and make Pav. with the left over whites. If you have a kumara lying around, peel and cube it, steam it and throw it in with everything else. Estra special flavours, even cold.