Something is eating my tomato plants!!
  Re: (...)
Title says it all!

I came home from vacation to GIANT tomato plants (man those things grow quickly!!), and there are tomatoes growing on each of them. But there is something munching on the leaves and they have even gotten to some of the tomatoes. I looked for the big green caterpillars that I know sometimes get to them, but can't find any. I do, however, see some flying little white aphids or something like them when I brush my hand across the leaves. What are they? Is there something I can do to get rid of them?

Any advice would be wonderful!!

Thanks!!
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
  Re: Something is eating my tomato plants!! by SDRecipeGirl (Title says it all! ...)
Lori,
I suppose it could be a lot of different bugs, depending on your area. But, we always used Rotenone (sp) powder and it did a good job and it's safe tho potent, I'm told
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Something is eating my tomato plants!! by farnfam (Lori,[br]I suppose i...)
Could be slugs, snails, or a bug that looks like a ladybug only it's wings are yellow instead of orange, or a variety of other bugs. You need to use some kind of bug spray to kill 'em off.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Something is eating my tomato plants!! by bjcotton (Could be slugs, snai...)
Lori, we use malathyon (sp?????) on our tomatoes.

How was vacation? What did you cook? We all want recipes of new dishes you tried and liked!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Something is eating my tomato plants!! by cjs (Lori, we use malathy...)
Well,I knew that I'd have to find something to spray on the plants, but I just wanted a little advice before I'm off searching for the cure. I don't want to kill them (or us) in the process!

The vacation was great (thank you for asking!) Details later- I'm so exhausted. Strange to be exhausted from a vacation, but I truly am. I made something like 31 recipes when we were staying at the beach house. I'll share the best of them when I get them entered into my recipe program. The fish and lobster were wonderful there! Not much luck on the Farmer's Markets- very limited, but I did find a couple of great regular markets for good ingredients. More later...
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
  Re: Something is eating my tomato plants!! by SDRecipeGirl (Title says it all! ...)
I went outside the other morning to find the tops of my basil sheared off and covered with Japanese beatles. I spray them with liquid soap and water on a regular basis but it doesn't always work. I think my fresh basil days are almost over

Hope something works for you!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Something is eating my tomato plants!! by pjcooks (I went outside the o...)
My basil is growing like crazy this year, but something got into my garden and made a nice meal of my Italian parsley. Also ate the tops off all my radishes. This all happened overnight, so I suspect there is a very satisfied bunny sleeping off a great meal.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Something is eating my tomato plants!! by SDRecipeGirl (Well,I knew that I'd...)
I know that the farmers here use malathion as well for pests--very poisonous though so be very careful with handling the end product. There is not too much (if anything) that will get rid of those critters---I have those little buggers on some of my indoor ferns and have to do a major NUCLEAR BOMBING to get them under control---but they always survive and I see them sprouting again in about 8 weeks---then another NUCLEAR BOMB goes off----keeps me busy---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Something is eating my tomato plants!! by Roxanne 21 (I know that the farm...)
That is correct, Malathion works well. Be sure it is a still day, or stand upwind when you spray it. Then wash your hands and anything else it has gotten on thoroughly. Wear gloves when handling it too.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Something is eating my tomato plants!! by bjcotton (That is correct, Mal...)
Wearing a cheap littl mask is a good idea, the spray is very fine, and even quiet days it does drift a little.