Egg Yolks -- what to do with all of them. . .
  Re: (...)
after you have made, say, an angel food cake?

Can any of you throw out into cyberspace what you do with all the egg yolks? Just about every weekend I make an angelfood cake, and all those egg yolks are left by their lonesome! I have made custards, custard based pies, and a cake called "Golden Cake" which is somewhat like a spongecake and uses about 8 yolks, but these recipes are getting old and I would hate to throw them out. Does anyone have any suggestions besides these for a welcomed change? Also, does anyone know how long the yolks would last in the frig if tightly covered/sealed? Thanks!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Egg Yolks -- what to do with all of them. . . by MUSICMAKER (after you have made,...)
I have never made it - but what about a lemon curd? I looked up one recipe and it called for eggs and 7 egg yolks.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Egg Yolks -- what to do with all of them. . . by MUSICMAKER (after you have made,...)
My mom used to make Chrusciki aka Angel Wings with the extra egg yolks. I think they have sort of fallen out of fashion a bit because so many people are watching their cholestrol, but if you want the recipe I'll look for it.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Linda, I'm bad, I only make an angel food cake from scratch if I have to. My recipe uses 11 or 12 egg whites. A doz eggs costs around $1.20, I can always find a mix (gasp) for $1.50.

Guess which route I go

Use to give the cats a yolk or two, even they got sick of them. I know, I know, I suppose you shouldn't be providing your cute little creatures w/a high cholesterol diet, but this was in the Dark Ages and we didn't know any better

My Mom would occasionally cover some w/water and freeze, although you'll still have the same question-Hey, I've got 44 egg yolks in my freezer, what to do with them???

Extra in french toast, maybe, or poach some for adding to potato salad? Or serve dropped eggs on toast and give everyone an extra yolk?

A facial?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Egg Yolks -- what to do with all of them. . . by pjcooks (Linda, I'm bad, I on...)
Quote:

A facial?

PJ

PJ, now that would REALLY be "egg on your face", eh!!!

By scratch is the only way I make anything --- that's the way I was brought up, taught. Waste not, want not! That's why there are always egg yolks left over. I like the idea of adding more yolks to omlets, scrambled eggs, and French toast, etc. Also didn't know you could successfully freeze them.

Maryann, yes, I will take the recipe for the angel wings. Always wanted to know how to make those!!! Anything new! When you get a chance to post it that will be great! Thanks for that!!! :
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Egg Yolks -- what to do with all of them. . . by MUSICMAKER ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
creme brulee

* Exported from MasterCook *

CHOCOLATE POT de CREME

2 cups Heavy Cream
3/4 pound bittersweet chocolate -- room temp
Chopped
1 Pinch cayenne
4 large egg yolks
3 Tablespoons dark rum
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter

In a medium saucepan, heat the cream until bubbles appear around the edge.
Remove the pan from the heat, add the chocolate and cayenne. Cover and let stand one minute, then stir until smooth.

Whisk the egg yokes in a small bowl, then whisk in 1/2 cup of the chocolate cream.
Return the yolk-chocolate mixture to the saucepan and whisk constantly until smooth.. Stir in the rum and butter.

Pour into eight 4 oz ramekins or small cups. Chill at least three hours or overnight.

Description:
"When I served this dessert while I was catering I often put the chocolate mixture in espresso coffee cups and topped with coffee whipped cream and chocolate shavings."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

GOAT CHEESE BREAD PUDDING

4 cups Bread cubes about 1/2 square, made from leftover rolls
4 egg yolks
4 oz heavy cream
8 oz goat cheese
2 tbs. basil chiffonade
2 tbs shallot, minced
1/2 tsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Sweat shallots in small amount of stock until translucent, let cool. Beat egg yolks, mix with cream. Add basil. Break goat cheese into small pieces, gently fold egg,cream mix with bread cubes and cheese. Use small ramekins or charlotte molds[no-stick spray!] Bake in water bath for 1 hour at 300 degrees. For a conventional oven use 325 f

Polycn's note: I thought about adding golden raisins, but the end result was quite rich. Compliments beets and grapefruit very well.

----------------

* Exported from MasterCook *

PASILLA AIOLI

Recipe By :Cook, Eat, Cha Cha Cha

4 pasilla chilies, seeded
3 Tbsps Pasilla powder
2 T. Olive oil
1 1/2 slice white bread, crusts removed, soaked in 1/4 c. red wine vinegar
2 lg egg yolks
1/4 c Dijon mustard
1 tsp salt
white pepper
2 tsps minced garlic
1 Tbsp lemon juice
3 c Soybean oil
Freshly ground pepper

In med. pan of boiling water, blanch chilies for 2 min.
Drain, reserve 1/3 c. water.

In processor, combine water, chilies, pasilla powder, & olive oil; puree to smooth paste.
Add remaining ingred. except soybean oil; puree.
With machine running, drizzle oil in.

Store airtight in frig. for up to 10 days.

Yield:
"4 c"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

that's a few ideas...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Egg yolks are, I believe, the only food that I willingly "waste". There are only a few recipes that I make which actually "need" them (instead of subbing 2 whites for one whole egg) and I just don't want the added fat and cholesterol. Eggs are pretty cheap as a protein source goes, so I have become quite accustomed to tossing those yolks down the disposal!

PJ, I understand your angel food mix choice, since I do the same thing too. Brownies, as well. I add things to them (coconut rum, chocolate chips, etc.) but the mix is so cheap comparerd to making it from scratch, especially when you figure in your time in making it!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Egg Yolks -- what to do with all of them. . . by foodfiend (Egg yolks are, I bel...)
Yes, Vicci, I understand. My everyday audience wouldn't appreciate the difference between homemade brownies and a mix, so that's what I do here at home. But give me an opportunity to do something else for the outside...(sounds like I'm in a compound) (which I'm not)

Jean, I'm going to make that goat cheese bread pudding. Really sounds good. Anyone want to come by and try it?

PJ
  Re: Re: Egg Yolks -- what to do with all of them. . . by pjcooks (Yes, Vicci, I unders...)
Then I'm in a compound, too! The ordinary things I don't take a lot of time with, but give me a really cool-sounding recipe and I don't care what it takes...
That goat cheese bread pudding sounds great. Um, my husband hates goat cheese, and I just had my "cooking friends" to visit for a weekend of cooking things that we don't normally have the opportunity to, so it's another year before I can freely prepare goat cheese. Can I come up and help you to make and consume that bread pudding? Huh?? Can I???
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Egg Yolks -- what to do with all of them. . . by pjcooks (Yes, Vicci, I unders...)
Well, I could probably force myself to share that dish with you PJ! Of course, I would have to walk home after we were finished with it! But, I'm thinking it would be worth it, sure sounds good!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."