Favorite Quickie
  Re: (...)
Well it seems that we are all here because we love to cook. But sometimes I am sure we resort to a 'Quickie'. I have 3 kids and work out of my home. My kitchen is also my office production area so some days I just feel like, "I cleaned up my work, and now I have to cook?!?!" On those days I look for a 'quickie'.

Our favorite summer 'quickie' is grilled, marinated meat (anything handy or picked up from our corner butcher), and grilled salad. We grill a couple heads of romaine and any other veggies we have on hand: zucchini, mushrooms, onions, green onions. We just brush them with EVO and toss with balsamic when it's done.

What is your favorite quickie meal?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Favorite Quickie by luvnit (Well it seems that w...)
For quick meals, in general, I like to use chicken (or whatever) cut into bite-sized cubes. Not only is it convenient, but also fast-cooking contrasted with large, whole pieces.

One recipe that I posted earlier is my Tropical Passion Chicken.

Another thing I'll do is to use a powdered cream-soup mix as the base for a simple sauce or gravy. Here, the ones I use are the Cream or Onion, Cream of Chicken, or Cream of Mushroom from Maggi, but this could be done with just about any such cream soup mix.

All I do with those is to saute some onions and/or mushrooms and/or whatever in a mixture of butter and olive oil, then add the chicken, cooking it until just about done. With it still in the pan, I'll deglaze the pan with some wine or water. Immediately, I'll stir in some of the soup mix, and allow that to simmer for a while. Finally, I'll add some milk or heavy cream and let the whole thing simmer until it is nicely thickened (the soup mix will take care of that). Depending upon my mood/taste for the day, I may also add one of the following: chipotle pepper powder and/or cumin; basil and/or thyme; rosemary and/or sage. It's rather "free-form," so just throw in whatever flavours you feel like having at the time.

P.S.: Since this was about quick recipes, I used the "quick reply." LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Favorite Quickie by labradors (For quick meals, in ...)
I just do up a bowl of pasta and a salad----I like those days.

Also omelets are right up there---with tons of gooey cheese
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Favorite Quickie by Roxanne 21 (I just do up a bowl ...)
Gee, for a moment I thought this might be . . . oh never mind. Our favorite quickie dinner is a silly canned tamale casserole that my Grandmother used to make.

1 can canned tamales ( chicken or beef)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can golden hominy, drained
1 cup shredded cheese

Remove paper from tamales and cut into thirds, reserving any of the "sauce". Place tamales into a casserole dish, add hominy and soup. Stir well to combine, top with shredded cheese and bake at 350 until bubbly. Serve with a salad.

We sometimes use a "fiesta" or nacho cheese soup. We used to be able to get a cream of poblano soup but campbells only sells it south of the border. Poooh!

Either this or breakfast.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Favorite Quickie by Harborwitch (Gee, for a moment I ...)
I know Sharon...had to bite my tongue [fingers] so I wouldn't make a comment.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Favorite Quickie by bjcotton (I know Sharon...had ...)
yeah, me too. I even closed my eyes when I opened the thread in case there might be pictures.........not

Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Favorite Quickie by farnfam (yeah, me too. I eve...)
Does that prove that great minds run in the gutter??
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Favorite Quickie by Harborwitch (Does that prove that...)
Is bastardadation a word? If not, call me Bill Buckley. We order pizza (specials) from Domino's or Pizza Hut (hand tossed)and while we wait for delivery I cook. We generally order large with pepperoni, black olives and mushrooms. In the meanwhile I saute'onion, bell peppers, butter, garlic, oregano (fresh) and scatter over the pizza when it arrives. I leave it crunchy. Amazing how much better it is. E Gullit would't agree, but thats why this board is so much fun. We love you all.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Favorite Quickie by Harborwitch (Does that prove that...)
Quote:

Does that prove that great minds run in the gutter??

Shame on all of you!!!

And to answer your question, ahh hemm, a resounding YES! Glad one of you had the guts to put it in print, tho!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Favorite Quickie by MUSICMAKER ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I'm with you, Bill - love to doctor up frozen or delivered pizza for a quickie!!

Also, when I have leftover pesto, I mix a little with cream cheese or feta or goat cheese and toss with hot pasta - an egg over the top and sprinkled with Parm (ala Jacque Pepin) and that's dinner. Usually a hunk of bread in the freezer.

I was going to add this to the soup thread, but decided since most soups cook a good length of time and make the house smell so good, I wouldn't - but here is where this soup recipe belongs. Jeff Smith (I know, I know) made this years ago on his show and it's really tasty and you can't get much faster than this.

2 small cans clams
2 cans cream style corn
1/2 can evaporated milk
couple shakes of Tabasco

How easy is that? a cup of that in the morning when you're camping to get going? Yum.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com