Halloumi Cheese - Nigella
  Re: (...)
I am loving Nigella's (Lawson) book that I'm cooking from this month. We have some friends here from California who are crazy about Ports, so planned dessert last night around that luscious drink. We tried two ports, both from Columbia Valley in Washington and both Cabernet Sauvignon Ports. One, from Preston Winery, was a blend of 10 vintages of Cab and Royalty ports from 1990 to 2000 - this one was fabulous. (I'm not good with the flowery terms and nuances of wine descriptions)

The other, from Canoe Ridge was a 2003 and very good also, but not quite the same league as the Preston.

I put together a cheese, dark chocolate and walnut dessert tray to go with them and the standout was the Halloumi cheese that Nigella's book recommended frying in a dry skillet, then drizzling a little lemon juice and finishing with a drizzle of olive oil mixed with dried chili flakes. It is goat & sheep's milk cheese and doesn't really melt, just gets deliciously soft and spreadable.

Oh my, it was just delicious - and we ended up going through the entire piece of this cheese. It was sure a nice dessert.

I'm going to post the dish we had for an entree later - it was a Jacques Pepin recipe for pork chops that was outstanding also - easy and just a simple dish that he is so well known for, just all flavor!!! With Garlic mashed potatoes. Certainly a repeat for around here.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Halloumi Cheese - Nigella by cjs (I am loving Nigella'...)
We have got to try this - the cheese sounds astounding and I'm not sure why we haven't had it. Must have gotten stuck on the flaming teleme???
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
I love port, but have never tried any of the American ones. I heard Virginia is starting to make some, and hopefully (if it's true) will try some in November.

The haloumi sounds great. I've only bought it twice, and dry fried it also. Do you have any pictures?

Gotta love Jacques' recipes! I don't think I've ever cooked one of his that I didn't lie!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
I want to come to your house for dinner! I feel like I was almost there.

But seriously, I will have to try that. I sound superbly delisciousSmile
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Halloumi Cheese - Nigella by luvnit (I want to come to yo...)
Laura, if you go to Jean's house for supper, it won't be one you'll soon forget, I guarantee it! I've had some memorable dishes prepared by our one and only cjs.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Halloumi Cheese - Nigella by bjcotton (Laura, if you go to ...)
Billy, you're makin' me blush here, thank you. I didn't take pictures, but I sure will next time - I loved that dessert.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Halloumi Cheese - Nigella by Harborwitch (We have got to try t...)
Ah HA!!! HAlloumi--I CAN GET THAT HERE MOST ANYTIME!!!

Nice idea, Jean---and I really like Nigella, too---now I will dig into her books when I have a chance---Peter bought me a few a while back---where do I begin?? TOO MANY BOOKS!!!

My review will be coming soon----
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Halloumi Cheese - Nigella by Roxanne 21 (Ah HA!!! HAlloumi-...)
Finally, something Roxanne can get!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Halloumi Cheese - Nigella by Lorraine (Finally, something R...)

CUTE!!!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Halloumi Cheese - Nigella by Roxanne 21 ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
Hahahahahahahahaha ;Þ