White Port
  Re: (...)
For the last few days I've been thinking that the local white port I found (at $40 a bottle) was unique. So, I Googled it and found there are numerous ones throughout Oregon and Washington, some for as low as $28 a bottle.

Something I had found several years ago is a Washington Ice Wine. It is Kiona Red Mountain Chenin Blanc Ice Wine from 2004 and runs about $21 a bottle. Very tasty when you compare it to Canadian Ice Wines at over $100 for the same size bottle. The Chenin Blanc taste comes through loud and clear and since wine gives me a headache I savor the small glass I can get away with. Apparently the Kiona Vineyard only makes a small amount so if you don't get it fairly early you don't get it at all. I have tasted all three of their dessert wines, Late Harvest Riesling, Yakima Valley, Late Harvest Gewurztraminer, Red Mountain, and the Chenin Blanc Ice Wine, Red Mountain. If you get a chance, give these a try. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: White Port by bjcotton (For the last few day...)
Oh, Billy, I love ice wines! Sakonnet Vineyard in Newport, RI makes a very nice one. It's not something found in our state liquor stores, however, so you have to travel to a vineyard to get it. Not that many arouond here, although there is one on the way to work, I'll have to check it out. I do know they just started making their own vodka and port (really good port).

Just realized how fractured this post sounds. I'm pretty tired.

Unfortunately, I live in a state where mail order wines are prohibited.

As well as Ethel M's chocolates

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: White Port by pjcooks (Oh, Billy, I love ic...)
There is a local winery here that makes excellent wines and they do manage to ***** "vinegar"Wink to states that do not allow wine to be shipped in without a problem.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
I have never tried a white port - will have to check it out. I love good dessert wines. OK, before Jean gets here and rats me out - I just love WINE! Port is one of our favorites - I'll have to see what's available here.
  Re: Re: White Port by Harborwitch (I have never tried a...)
I really can't handle the taste of liquor anymore, but sure do like to cook with it and a half a glass of wine gives me a headache, so I cook with it too

PJ, dear, I was going to suggest you take a nap while you were able, but it's about bedtime where you are. So, take a hot bath with your favorite bath oil and soak for a while before going to bed. That'll make you sleep better and more comfortably.

Billy
Thanks for the reviews, Billy. I love ice wine! Just had it for the first time this summer when my brother brought some back from Nova Scotia. He was very disappointed that the vineyard didn't *****. So was I, it was delish!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: White Port by Mare749 (Thanks for the revie...)
" I just love WINE! Port is one of our favorites "

Were we sisters in a past life???

I do love my Ice Wine. Found four bottles stashed in the back of the fridge in the basement. I've never had white port, heck, I've never even seen it here. Will have to look for it (or bring some back if I find it in Virginia!)
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: White Port by Lorraine (" I just love WINE!...)
Another Ice wine lover - it's also interesting the wineries who are 'playing' with developing artificial 'ice' - some of them are very good.

Have not tried a white port....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: White Port by cjs (Another Ice wine lov...)
As I recall from "back in the day" the white port was on the bottom shelf along with the Thunderbird and Ripple - and only the bums drank it. Will have to re-check the wine aisles.
  Re: Re: White Port by Mare749 (Thanks for the revie...)
Try some of the late harvest wines, they are good too.

Billy