Flank Steak
  Re: (...)
I was in Costco the other day (like yesterday) and they had some nice flank steaks. I bought two, one was the triangular part and the other the square part. I'm debating what to do with them [besides freeze them]. Saturday I'll be fixing the Shrimp & Grits from the new Weeknight Menus except using rice since I am the only one here that likes grits. It would be nice to have the beef on Friday night. I just need to decide how to fix it. I've made the Beer Braised Brisket several times and it's good, but I'm tired of it. Any suggestions?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Flank Steak by bjcotton (I was in Costco the ...)
We love to do an Asian marinade on flank steak; soy, ginger, garlic, Thai chilies, cilantro, basil, mint, mirin, and some sesame oil. Bob puts it on the grill and we usually serve it with rice (sticky rice with pickled ginger and chives (or scallions), and either an Asian slaw or green salad.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Flank Steak by Harborwitch (We love to do an Asi...)
Billy, this is one of my all-time favorite recipes. My mom used to make this, but I didn't have a recipe, so I got this one from the food network. It just melts in your mouth. Make a side of pasta to go with.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Braciole

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup dried Italian-style bread crumbs
1 garlic clove -- minced
2/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano
1/3 cup grated provolone
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
4 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 flank steak -- (1 1/2-pound)
1 cup dry white wine
3 1/4 cups Simple Tomato Sauce -- recipe follows, or store-bought marinara sauce

Stir the first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl to blend. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the oil. Season mixture with salt and pepper and set aside.

Lay the flank steak flat on the work surface. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture evenly over the steak to cover the top evenly. Starting at 1 short end, roll up the steak as for a jelly roll to enclose the filling completely. Using butcher's twine, tie the steak roll to secure. Sprinkle the braciole with salt and pepper.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the braciole and cook until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Add the wine to the pan and bring to a boil. Stir in the marinara sauce. Cover partially with foil and bake until the meat is almost tender, turning the braciole and basting with the sauce every 30 minutes. After 1 hour, uncover and continue baking until the meat is tender, about 30 minutes longer. The total cooking time should be about 1 1/2 hours.

Remove the braciole from the sauce. Using a large sharp knife, cut the braciole crosswise and diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Transfer the slices to plates. Spoon the sauce over and serve.

Description:
"Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis"
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.foodnetwork.com
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Flank Steak by bjcotton (I was in Costco the ...)
We usually marinate it and grill it. To make it tender, cook it over very hot coals 1-2 minutes, turn, 1-2 minutes, turn, 1 minute, remove from heat and rest for 10 minutes before slicing thinly on an angle. This would be a problem if you don't like medium rare. But, if it's not a bit pink, then it gets pretty tough.

Check out [Email]C@H's[/Email] variations... Issue 21, all about flank steak... Issue 33 Lime marinated, Issue 46 Mongolian bbq, teriyaki fired & whisky cola bbq.

We've made the lime marinated many times - easy & good.
  Re: Re: Flank Steak by Mare749 (Billy, this is one o...)
That sounds really good, Maryann.Copied and printed! Thanks for posting the recipe.

Here's one I've made several times.

Argentine Stuffed Flank Steak
(Cuisine at home, April 2005, Issue 50, p. 19)

Makes: 1 Stuffed Flank Total Time: 90 Minutes Rating: Intermediate

For the Chimichurri Sauce—
Combine:
1 cup flat leaf parsley, packed
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, packed
1/4 cup olive oil
3 T. fresh lemon juice
2 T. distilled white vinegar
6 garlic cloves, peeled
1 large jalapeño, seeded
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. pepper

For the Stuffing—
Toss:
1 1/2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup Fontina or Gouda cheese, cubed (4 oz.)
Salt and pepper to taste

Prepare; Sear in 2 T. Olive Oil:
1 flank steak (1 1/2–2 lb.)
Salt and pepper to taste

Serve with:
Chimichurri Sauce and Bravas Potatoes

Related Recipes:

Bravas Potatoes

Preheat oven to 400°.

Combine all chimichurri ingredients in a food processor or blender. Puree until smooth.

Toss tomatoes and cheese together; season with salt and pepper.

Prepare steak as shown at right and on the next page. Season with salt and pepper, and top with tomato-cheese mixture. Roll steak and tie at 1 1/2" intervals. Season the outside surface with salt and pepper. Sear steak on all sides in oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat; end with seam side down. Place the pan in the oven and roast steak for 30 minutes, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 140° for medium-rare. Remove steak from the pan and rest 10 minutes before slicing.

Serve with chimichurri and bravas potatoes.
PJ
  Re: Re: Flank Steak by pjcooks (That sounds really g...)
I usually grill it also. I used to have a recipe that called for frying it, then making a sauce using mustard, cream and capers.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Flank Steak by Lorraine (I usually grill it a...)
oh my, the stuffed ideas sound wonderful!! copied both.

Billy, here's something that's a little different and delicious - funny, I just mentioned his book the other day in the Christmas book list. We love these as sandwiches or with the noodles.

GRILLED BEEF VIETNAMESE STREET SANDWICH

Recipe By :Martin Yan, Quick & Easy Book
Serving Size : 4

Marinade:
2 Tbsps fish sauce
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 tsps sugar
1 stalk lemon grass, bottom 4 inches only, minced
2 clove garlic, minced
1 T. chopped fresh mint
1 tsp chili garlic sauce
---------
3/4 lb beef tri-tip or flank steak, thinly sliced across the grain on the diagonal
Seasoned Mayonnaise:
1/2 c mayonnaise
1 Tbsp Oyster-flavored sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
---------
1 tsp vege oil
4 soft French rolls, split & lightly toasted
3/4 c fresh cilantro stems & leaves
1 c Sweet -&-Sour Shredded carrots (see recipe)
1 jalapeno chili, thinly sliced

Marinade: combine all the ingred. in a bowl & mix well.
Add the beef & stir to coat evenly.
Let stand for 10 min.

Mayo: combine all the ingred. in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.

Place a grill pan over med-high heat till hot.
Brush w/vege oil.
Place the beef strips on the pan & cook, turning once, till now long pink about 2 min. on each side.
Remove from the heat.

Spread the mayo on the cut sides of each roll.
Divide the beef, cilantro, carrots & chili evenly among the rolls.
Close the rolls and serve.

SWEET-&-SOUR SHREDDED CARROTS:
3/4 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
3 cups shredded carrot
1 T. fish sauce

IN small pan, combine the vinegar, water, sugar & salt & bring to a boil.
Remove from the heat and stir till the sugar dissolves.

Place the carrots in a heatproof bowl & pour the hot vinegar mixture over them.
Add the fish sauce, stir to combine, and let cool.
Store in a covered container in the frig; the carrots will keep for up to 1 month.

Serving Ideas : ----------
You can use other types of meat, such as pork or chicken, or even pressed tofu, for these delicious sandwiches, which are good for lunch.
The meat can be served with a variety of other dishes if you choose not to make sandwiches. Garlicky Peanut Noodles are great with the meat.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Flank Steak by pjcooks (That sounds really g...)
I have decided to do the Argentine Flank Steak as suggested by PJ.

A Note for those with access to CuisineAtHome Members Plus. Did you know you can print the recipe with pictures if you use the PDF file? It helps if you are doing something for the first time.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Flank Steak by bjcotton (I have decided to do...)
I hope you like it as much as we did, Billy. My kids helped out here and plated. Here's a pic.

[Image: DSCN0499.jpg]

Time to do it again, I think!

PJ

ETA, thanks for the info, Billy
PJ
  Re: Re: Flank Steak by cjs (oh my, the stuffed i...)
Jean, the tofu version of this sandwich looks like a keeper for a veggie option. What would you suggest using instead of fish sauce? I need to get away from the hummus and garden veg, and roasted veg. Tofu is something I usually have on hand.Thanks!

PJ
PJ