Pork Loin Roast
  Re: (...)
I have never roasted a pork loin, a tenderloin yes, but not a loin. I looked it up in Culinary Artistry, but other then brining it, I just got more confused. My family doesn't go much for sweetish glazes, but I do want a Mexican type flavor. I have Creole and Jerk rubs, but don't really want those either. Any suggestions?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Pork Loin Roast by bjcotton (I have never roasted...)
Billy, I usually just roast mine "plain" then make a brown gravy with the drippings, but my daughters both like to buy the ones that are marinaded. There are various flavors like herb and garlic, mesquite, portabella mushroom and cracked pepper, etc. You can usually find them at Cosco.

An alternative is to buy a bottle of marinade which is usually shelved near the BBQ sauces and marinade your roast in a ziploc overnight. There are syringe injectors you can use also, if you want the meat flavored all the way through.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I love mexican flavors with pork. They go so nicely together. I really like to use Fajita Rubs on meats. I grilled an entire pork loin (well maybe not the entire thing, but it was probably 5 lbs. give or take. I used this Fajita rub for a chicken and just made more. I know I added more cumin than it said (because I like that) and I used red pepper flakes for a little more heat. And lots of lime... yummmmm.

I am sure you could roast it in the oven too without any trouble.

Ingredients for Fajita Rub:

1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. fresh ground pepper
Lime juice

Preparation:

Squeeze lime juice over your chicken breasts and completely coat it and let it marinate for about 20 minutes. Blend dry ingredients well and rub on favorite fowl before cooking. This is enough rub for 6 to 8 chicken breasts.

Good luck though. I am sure it will turn out wonderful... whatever you do.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
The old stand by recipe for pork loin roast for us is...
Rub roast with cut halves of a garlic clove. Mix equal parts marjoram, sage & salt (1 teasp ea for ~2#) and rub on roast. Grill or oven roast. You can make a gravy from the drippings if you oven bake it. I'll admit it's not Mexican flavored, but it is very good!
  Re: Re: Pork Loin Roast by HomeCulinarian (The old stand by rec...)
Billy, this is not mexican and a little more involved - but it is soooo good...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pork Roast with Mushroom-Madeira Cream Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 pounds boneless pork loin roast
salt and pepper
1 cup madeira
1/4 cup shallots -- minced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme -- minced
3/4 pound mushroom -- sliced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup whipping cream

Preheat oven to 350. season roast generously with salt and pepper.

Set on rack in roasting pan. Roast 1 hour. Remove and drain and
reserve fat from pan. Pour Madeira over roast.

Return to oven and continue cooking until thermometer in center of roast
reads 150. Basting frequently, about 45 minutes.

Transfer roast to cutting board and tent with foil. Transfer pan juices
to cup and degrease.

Return 3 tbsp. reserved fat (or olive oil) to same pan and heat over
medium-low heat. Add shallots and thyme. Cook 5 minutes, stirring and
scraping up any browned bits.

Increase heat to medium. Add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.
Cook until mushrooms are very tender, stirring frequently, about 7
minutes.

Sprinkle flour over mushrooms and stir 3 minutes. Mix in reserved pan
juices, stock and cream.

Boil until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally about 5 minutes.

Carve roast and serve with sauce.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
Billy, my Mother always slathered hers with Jehanne Benoit's ( a Quebec cookbook author)"Beauty Paste" Butter, chopped fresh garlic, S&P,and dry mustard. It gave it a great flavour, then she just made a pan gravy with the drippings.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Pork Loin Roast by Lorraine (Billy, my Mother alw...)
Mexican, hmmmmm - the first thing that pops into my head that I think your clan would like isn't Mexican, but...

THE MESSIEST PORK LOIN EVER

Billy, 45 minutes per lb. is way too much to cook pork now a days, so we'll have to play with this timing - I haven't made this roast in years....hmmmm, maybe I will soon, we used to just love this. The 'goop' is good over baked potatoes also. (I did rewrite the recipe a tad to reflect modern day cooking temperatures)

3 to 5-lb shoulder or loin of pork -- sliced through the meat just to the bone (so the roast is still together, but will fan out slightly while cooking)
Basting sauce:
1 can condensed tomato soup
1/3 cup - chopped onion and celery
1 clove garlic -- minced
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
4 drops Tabasco.

Place the roast, meat side up, in a shallow baking pan and roast at 325° F. about 45 minutes per pound. One hour before meat is done, pour off drippings and save.

Mix together the sauce ingredients and pour over the pork and continue roasting until temperature reaches 150°. Baste with sauce often.

-----

NOTES : I had a friend years ago that complained every time she made this pork loin she had to clean her oven…but she wouldn't quit making it. It's a very simple, easy and tasty dish, but yes, it is messy.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Loin Roast by cjs (Mexican, hmmmmm - th...)
Just saw this old one - I've used it for pork chops, tenderloins and loin roasts - again not Mexican, but what the heck, why not use the leftovers for a Mexican dinner...

The recipe is from the Nat'l Pork council and the entire dish is definitely a repeat!!

Caribbean Spiced Pork with Apple-Fennel Chutney
Serves 6

2 3/4-pound pork tenderloins
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon whole brown mustard seed
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic

APPLE-FENNEL CHUTNEY
1 1/2 cups chopped apple (1 large)
3/4 cup diced fennel (1 bulb)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup raisins
1 tablespoon chopped crystallized ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cider vinegar

Heat oven to 450ºF. In a medium saucepan, combine all chutney ingredients; mix well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 15 minutes more.

Remove cover and cook 15-20 minutes more, or until fruit is tender.

Meanwhile, place pork tenderloins on a sheet of waxed paper. Place all dry seasonings in a blender; grind to a powder. Coat tenderloins with spice mixture. Place pork in a shallow roasting pan. Roast for 20 minutes, or until meat thermometer registers 160ºF (I cook pork to 150°). To serve, slice pork tenderloins into 1/2-inch medallions. Top with chutney. Serve any remaining chutney on the side.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Loin Roast by cjs (Mexican, hmmmmm - th...)
Jean,

I totally agree with the timing. We usually cook pork and take it out when the internal temp is about 140. It will raise 10-15 degrees after while it is sitting. I don't knwo how many minutes a pound that is.

Maybe there is someone else who knows. But even on the grill, I put a probe in it during cooking.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Pork Loin Roast by luvnit (Jean,[br][br]I total...)
"It will raise 10-15 degrees after while it is sitting" - yes and no - it of course depends on the cut of meat. Too small and there is really no residual heat to up the temp.

I think everyone (recipe writers) have gotten away from telling an exact time per pound to cook meat now a days. There are too many variables and preferences - approximates are about the only way to go.
www.achefsjourney.com