A Sad Day Here
  Re: (...)
We spent our summers in the country as kids. My Aunt and Uncle lived across the road, and there kids were basically our age, although they only had 5 to our 7. We spent most of our time at their house, and were very close to our cousins.

I got a phonecall yesterday that one of the cousins had passed away. My first thought was, how much more can this family take? Her brother was killed in a freak accident while working in the woods at age 26. Her oldest daughter was one of the women killed in the Montreal Massacre. Her husband never could come to terms with their daughter's death, and committed suicide less than six months after she died. Now, Therese passed away at the age of 57.

The one thing I am glad about, is that I sent her a picture when she got ill. It was of both families standing in front of my Father's ancient car, him holding a turkey / ham or something. We all look like a bunch of waifs. When my oldest sister went to visit her last week, she had it at her bedside. Although she couldn't talk ( they had to do a tracheotomy sp?), she pointed to it and smiled. I feel so sorry for her reamining daughter, who has now lost both parents, and her only sibling. But, I keep thinking how lucky I am.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: A Sad Day Here by Lorraine (We spent our summers...)
Oh Lorraine, this is the most horrible part of getting older, but what a run bad luck for your family - not really age related at all!! My word. I'm so sorry you've lost another cousin. Makes me tell myself to get a hold of my cousins more often, they are one of the reasons we moved back up here!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Lorraine, I'm so sorry at the passing of your cousin. This is the type of thing that makes us realize how fortunate we are. My prayers are with you and yours.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: A Sad Day Here by pjcooks (Lorraine, I'm so sor...)
Lorraine, that is a tragic story. Because she had that photo of your combined families at her bedside that says she valued those happy memories of her youth very much. My hope for you is that your own happy memories of your cousin and her family will eventually replace the grief you feel now.
Lorraine I am so very sorry the loss of your cousin. It is incomprehensible that so much sadness can visit one family.
{{{{hugs}}}}
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
So sorry--I treasure all my cousins-I'm now the oldest living member of my family (I prefer patriarch) andI've lost touch with 3 cousins. They become precious when parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, brothers and sisters are gone. My best to you . Treasure every one.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: A Sad Day Here by Old Bay (So sorry--I treasure...)
So sorry to hear this.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: A Sad Day Here by labradors (So sorry to hear thi...)
Lorraine, I am so sorry for your loss. How wonderful that the photo you sent gave your cousin such comfort. You deserve a big hug for your kindness and for sharing memories.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: A Sad Day Here by Mare749 (Lorraine, I am so so...)
Oh Lorraine that just breaks my heart to hear all that. I so wish I could offer a hug or something to help ease this pain.
I am so sorry Lorraine. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.