The BEST buttermilk pancakes EVER
  Re: (...)
Had that craving this morning!! Want pancakes, now!!! Did a little google on "buttermilk pancakes" and found this recipe. If you love lighter than air fluffy pancakes these are the best you'll ever have!! Just had to share with y'all!

Bette`s Buttermilk Pancakes

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
Choice of berries, sliced bananas, raisins or chopped toasted nuts (optional)
Oil for griddle

Directions:
My absolute favorite pancake recipe. From the San Francisco Chronicle a few years ago:

"Bette's Buttermilk Pancakes Rise a Stack Above the Rest" Michael Bauer

Several people in the Food department thought they had the best recipe for buttermilk pancakes until they tasted this version from Bette's Oceanview Diner in Berkeley.

Owner Bette Kroening has been making these pancakes there for nearly 20 years. They have become so popular that she even started a line of packaged mixes that can be bought all around the Bay Area, including in some Safeways.

What makes these -- as well as all of the all-American specialties at the diner -- so good is they are made fresh. The baking soda, baking powder and buttermilk work to make these lighter and fluffier than just about any you'll find.

Bette's Oceanview Diner, 1807 Fourth St. (between Virginia Street and Hearst Avenue), Berkeley; (510) 644-3230. Open daily for breakfast and lunch.

The ingredients. The baking powder, baking soda and buttermilk work together to make these the lightest pancakes possible. -- Stirring the batter. The batter begins to react the minute the wet ingredients are added. Stir quickly and don't overstir; there should still be lumps in the batter.

Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.

Lightly beat the eggs with the buttermilk, milk and melted butter.

Just before you are ready to make the pancakes, add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients all at once, stirring just long enough to blend. The batter should be slightly lumpy. If you want to add fruit or nuts, stir them in now, or you may sprinkle them on the pancakes while they are on the griddle. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or heavy skillet over medium-high heat (375 degrees on an electric griddle). Pour 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto the griddle or skillet, spacing the pancakes apart so they do not run together.

When bubbles appear on the surface of the pancakes and the undersides are lightly browned, turn and cook for about 2 minutes longer, until lightly browned on the bottom.

Serve immediately on warmed plates with the topping of your choice.

PER SERVING (8 4" pancakes): 445 calories, 15 g protein, 58 g carbohydrate, 17 g fat (9 g saturated), 145 mg cholesterol, 816 mg sodium, 1 g fiber.

Recipe Location: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/25...2194.shtml
Recipe ID: 12787
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: The BEST buttermilk pancakes EVER by Harborwitch (Had that craving thi...)
I'm always looking for a better pancake recipe, Sharon. Thanks for posting this, Copied and Printed!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: The BEST buttermilk pancakes EVER by pjcooks (I'm always looking f...)
Did I mention that these things will float off your plate if you don't secure them with lots of butter and syrup??
  Re: Re: The BEST buttermilk pancakes EVER by Harborwitch (Did I mention that t...)
YUM! Wonder how well these would work with the typical milk/vinegar or milk/lemon-juice substitution for buttermilk, since there is no such thing as buttermilk here.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: The BEST buttermilk pancakes EVER by labradors (YUM! Wonder how wel...)
O.K. I'm ready to do battle, MS Sharon!!

These just happen to be the best buttermilk pancakes in the entire world!!!

WALLACE'S PANCAKES

6 T. flour -- rounded (9.3 oz)
3 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda -- rounded
1/2 teaspoon baking powder -- shy
2 eggs
3 T. bacon grease
3 T. sugar

Mix all together and pour about 1/3 cup size pancakes.
The batter should be fairly thin.
Turn as soon as top has bubbles and cook other side until browned.

Description:
"these are the greatest pancakes ever, from Uncle Wallace Thatcher (my Great-Uncle)"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The BEST buttermilk pancakes EVER by cjs (O.K. I'm ready to do...)
Back to your corners, girls

Does this mean Picky will be eatting a lot of pancakes soon???

I hope so, Lab, that's what I'm planning on doing, I'm tired of buying buttermilk for a couple of T,and then trying to use it up. However, I think that's how I discovered Jean's cheesecake muffins, on a thread on how to use up buttermilk.

Why can't they just sell it in half pints???? Course, that doesn't help you. Labs, does it?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: The BEST buttermilk pancakes EVER by labradors (YUM! Wonder how wel...)
That will work, Labs, I have used that concoction in a pinch!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: The BEST buttermilk pancakes EVER by cjs (O.K. I'm ready to do...)
Oooooooh! The gauntlet has been tossed! Pancakes again tomorrow morning! HeeeeHeeee!
  Re: Re: The BEST buttermilk pancakes EVER by pjcooks (Back to your corners...)
Quote:

I'm tired of buying buttermilk for a couple of T,and then trying to use it up.

In your case, powdered buttermilk may be the answer. I would love to try that but, of course, not even THAT is available here. According to that site's FAQ, the powder should last a very long time, when refrigerated after opening, so maybe I'll find a way to have someone bring some down.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: The BEST buttermilk pancakes EVER by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
O.K., I'll try your 2nd best also, Sharon...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com