Help! Lost an issue!
  Re: (...)
Hi. I lost issue #60, which I believe is Dec. 2006. There's an Asian type pork tenderloin I had from that issue, which is delicious! Would someone please post that recipe for me. I'd be very appreciative and, if you haven't tried it, its a keeper!

The only comment I know of is that the fresh ginger makes it a bit hot for some tastes, but I like it.
Calliope
  Re: Help! Lost an issue! by Calliope (Hi. I lost issue #60...)
Here you go, Calliope. We had this for dinner tonight!!! (Sunday). Also posting the Asian slaw that was suggested with it. If you haven't made/tried this, it is also a keeper. It is absolutely perfect with the pork!

Asian Pork Tenderloin
(Cuisine at home, December 2006, Issue 60, p. 36)

Makes: 2 Tenderloins Total Time: 1 Hour Rating: Easy

Trim; Combine; Rub and Sear:
2 pork tenderloins, trimmed (1–1/2 to 2 lb. each)
2 T. Chinese five-spice powder
1 T. kosher salt
1 T. ground black pepper
2 T. peanut oil

Simmer:
1/3 cup Chinese plum sauce
2 T. honey
1 T. tomato paste
1 T. soy sauce
1 T. rice vinegar
1 T. fresh ginger, minced
1 T. pineapple juice
1 t. chili garlic sauce

Garnish with:
Fresh chives

Preheat oven to 400°.

Trim tenderloins of silverskin and excess fat. Combine five-spice, salt, and pepper, then rub over both tenderloins. Heat oil in an ovenproof saute pan over medium-high; sear pork on all sides, 5 minutes.

Simmer remaining ingredients (except chives) in a saucepan for 1 minute; pour over pork. Transfer pan to the oven and roast 20 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 140°. Remove pork from pan; let rest 10 minutes before slicing.

Garnish with fresh chives.

Spicy Asian Slaw
(Cuisine at home, December 2006, Issue 60, p. 37)

Makes: 5 Cups Total Time: 25 Minutes Rating: Easy

Whisk Together:
2 T. pineapple juice
2 T. rice vinegar
2 T. sugar
1 T. chili garlic sauce
1 T. Chinese plum sauce
1 t. cornstarch

Saute and Add:
6 cups green cabbage, cubed
1 cup red bell pepper, julienned
2/3 cup carrot, julienned
2 T. fresh ginger, minced
1 T. peanut oil
1/2 t. kosher salt

Stir in and Cook until Thickened:
Reserved sauce

Whisk first 6 ingredients together in a bowl; set aside.

Saute cabbage, bell pepper, carrot, and ginger in oil in a nonstick skillet over high heat. After 1 minute, add the salt. Continue sauteing for 2 minutes, or until cabbage starts to wilt.

Stir in reserved sauce; cook 1 minute, or until slightly thickened.

Re: Re: Help! Lost an issue! by MUSICMAKER (Here you go, Calliop...)
Thank you so very much, MUSICMAKER! I have not had the slaw, so I'm glad you posted it. What a grand coincidence that you just served this dish...my lucky day! I highly recommend it to those who have not! I changed the title of the thread (I think), so folks could figure out the topic, since this is definitely a keeper!

Did you use the fresh ginger and, if so, did anyone find it made the pork too hot. I love hot and spicy, so I'd use the fresh ginger, unless I was serving it to tender tastebuds, I suppose.

Has anyone had experience with jarred "fresh" ginger? I have some, but I've not used it.
Calliope
  Re: Re: Help! Lost an issue! Asian Tenderloin great! by Calliope (Thank you so very mu...)
Calliope, coincidence, yeah! Sometimes even spooky....like all the talk going around about the pancakes and everyone in this forum (well, practically everyone!) is craving them or making them...same thing has happened in the past with lemons and a few other things!!!

Yes, used the FRESH ginger and what was called for. We like the spike of the ginger. I'm not a "hot" freak like my sons are, with the hot peppers....tabasco on just about everything, and I mean everything!!! The heat from the ginger is a different heat and I -- we -- like it! As far as serving to the tender tongues, if I knew little ones were to consume this dish, yes, I would cut back some on it; but if you know your guests and well enough to know if they don't mind some heat, I would leave it as it is. If you don't know them that well, I agree about cutting back on it some. I have found that a lot of the Cuisine recipes have a heavy hand with heat. Like the infamous meatballs. There is so much pepper in there that even my boys complained. Not so much that they were hot, it was that the heat was overbearing all the other ingredients.

As far as the fresh ginger in the jar, in my opinion, save your money! We didn't care for it and I ended up tossing it out, something I rarely do with anything! It was a waste of money. Fresh ginger is not that expensive (per pound) and is not that weighty, so you really cannot go broke purchasing fresh. I usually buy a good size piece of it, or several smaller ones, and wrap then really well with a paper towel and into a zippy FREEZER bag and just keep it in the veggie drawer in the frig. When needed, use whatever and re-wrap with the papertowel and freezer bag and back into the veg drawer. Lasts a long time this way. Someone told me about the papertowel...not sure what the significance is but it does make it last longer. But yeah, stay away from the jar ginger, IMHO. Same with the crystalized ginger in the jar. Have found the one in the vacuum packed plastic is MUCH better...after opening, replace in same wrapper then I put in a freezer zip bag, make sure all the air is out, seal it and then put the sealed baggie into a GLASS jar -- not a plastic jar -- and it will last almost forever! (In the plastic jar, it ended up getting hard).

Try the slaw, tho! You will enjoy it with the pork loin. Let us know if you end up making it and what you think about it, too!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Help! Lost an issue! Asian Tenderloin great! by MUSICMAKER (Calliope, coincidenc...)
My daughter and I made this a few months ago and loved it also. Fresh ginger is really a must.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Help! Lost an issue! Asian Tenderloin great! by cjs (My daughter and I ma...)
I agree, Jean. This is one of those recipes that is on the occasional pork night......and the slaw is good but not great---nice change though!!

Nice to see you here, Calliope---come and visit a bit more often!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Help! Lost an issue! Asian Tenderloin great! by Calliope (Thank you so very mu...)
Quote:

Thank you so very much, MUSICMAKER! I have not had the slaw, so I'm glad you posted it. What a grand coincidence...

...or the interesting coincidence that, apart from being the Muse of epic poetry, a calliope IS a "music maker." LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?