Monday Night's Dinner??
  Re: (...)
Start of another gorgeous week - I really want to just grill, but I have 1/2 half of a huge (Cash & Carry size) can of chopped clams, so can't grill those little suckers....

So, I'm making Clam Chowder - New England style. Here's the one I've made forever and just love. What kind of chowder do you all make.

(darn, I wish I'd thot to start 18 hour bread yesterday!)

NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER

3 cups clams -- or 3 doz. hard-shell or littleneck
1 cup clam juice
2 medium boiling potatoes -- peeled
2 ounces lean slab bacon w/rind removed -- 1/4" dice
1 T. +4 tsp. butter
1 cup onions -- finely chopped
2 cups milk
1/2 cup light cream
1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Cook potato dice in enough boiling water to cover completely & cook briskly til tender but still somewhat resistant to the bite. Drain, reserving 1/2 cups of the cooking liquid.

Drop the bacon dice into boiling water to cover completely & boil for 2 min. Drain, pat completely dry w/paper towels.

In a 2- to 3-qt. saucepan, fry bacon & 1 T. of butter over moderate heat, stirring frequently till crisp & brown & have rendered all their fat. Transfer the dice to paper towels.

Add onions to the fat remaining in the pan & stirring frequently, cook for ~5 min. over moderate heat til soft & translucent but not brown.
Stir in the clam juice, the 1/2 cup of potato cooking liquid & the finely chopped clams. Reduce the heat to low, cover tightly & simmer for 10 min.
Stir in potatoes & continue to simmer covered for 3 min. longer.

Meanwhile, in a separate pan, warm the milk & cream over moderate heat till just simmering. Pour into the simmering clam mixture & mix well.
Stir in the thyme, salt, a few grindings of pepper & the bacon. Taste for seasoning.

Ladle the chowder into 4 heated soup plates, place a tsp. of butter on top of each serving, and serve at once.

NOTES : Some N.E. traditionalists insist that the clam chowder improves in flavor if, after cooking, it is allowed to rest off the heat but un-refrigerated for about an hour and then reheated very briefly just before it is served.

Recipe By :Foods of the World, Time-Life Series, 1970
Serving Size : 4

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So, what's everyone else up to??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Monday Night's Dinner?? by cjs (Start of another gor...)
My SIL is home for the week, and she has requested the Chicken Roulades with Caesar Salad. I'm STILL pulling grape tomatoes from the garden, so will make the tomato concasse with them.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Monday Night's Dinner?? by Lorraine (My SIL is home for t...)
ohhhh, so am I (pulling cherry tomatoes) - what a great memory that dinner was - maybe later this week. Thanks Lorraine.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Monday Night's Dinner?? by cjs (ohhhh, so am I (pull...)
Went through the November Cooking Light yesterday (pretty lean pickings this month I think). It's a toss between chile and honey glazed chicken breasts or rotini with chicken, asparagus, cherry tomatoes and goat cheese.

I'm not sure I feel like spending $4.99 a pound on asparagus. I seem to remember that Trader Joe's sells frozen asparagus tips. If they do, that'll make me lean towards the pasta - LOL.
  Re: Re: Monday Night's Dinner?? by Trixxee (Went through the Nov...)
Trixee, what about subbing something like fresh green beans for the asparagus? I wouldn't be paying $4.99 a lb either! both dishes sound great!

Jean, the tomatoes and green peppers just won't die this year! Not that I'm complaining.
Great idea Lorraine. I had spinach in the back of my mind just in case, but green beans might be better, texture wise.
  Re: Re: Monday Night's Dinner?? by Trixxee (Great idea Lorraine....)
Spinach? I think we reviewed a chicken dish here with goat cheese and cherry toms that had spinach in it!! I'll see if I can find it.
  Re: Re: Monday Night's Dinner?? by Lorraine (Spinach? I think we...)
<a href="http://" >http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...part=2&vc=1</a>

Here it is!
[blockquote]Quote:

NOTES : Some N.E. traditionalists insist that the clam chowder improves in flavor if, after cooking, it is allowed to rest off the heat but un-refrigerated for about an hour and then reheated very briefly just before it is served./quote]

darn those NE traditionalists

Some of us have upgraded to a bain... or even a crockpot on low low low if capable, see how hi-tech we're becoming?

PJ
We were going to have tequila achiote pork last night - but ran out of propane. I'll finish it off in the oven tonight, along with a try at some chile d'arbol hot wings and a nice big salad and some left over frijoles.

That's the plan at any rate.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!