Green Bean Casserole with Onion Rings
  Re: (...)
I emailed C@H about two weeks ago and told them that the Onion Ring recipe related to this dish was missing. They finally have it posted and I just read through the recipe. I have to say, I am not very impressed. This sounds like a nightmare to fry onions in oil just before serving a side dish. I think if I a turkey to carve, gravy to make, potatoes to mash, I am not going to want to deep fry some onions too.

I really love green bean casserole and had wanted to try this one. I think I will pass...

Am I being a party pooper??
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Green Bean Casserole with Onion Rings by luvnit (I emailed [url=mailt...)
"Every party has a pooper and that pooper is you!"

Have you ever heard that song, Laura?

You know the infamous "green bean casserole"??? It was popular for years when I first heard of it. The ex wanted it one year but I couldn't find those "dried" onion rings to save my life! So made my own....made own "mushroom soup" and used fresh green beans. Don't know why [Email]C@H[/Email] would want them made just before serving. I've made them the day before any number of times and also the morning of, when things were still quiet. Don't see any reason why you couldn't do that here.

P.S. Did you get your corned venison recipe?
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Green Bean Casserole with Onion Rings by luvnit (I emailed [url=mailt...)
We've done some from scratch and fried leeks--little ringlets to put on top--no breading--looks and tastes neat.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Green Bean Casserole with Onion Rings by Old Bay (We've done some from...)
yes and they can be done ahead of time.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Green Bean Casserole with Onion Rings by MUSICMAKER ("Every party has a p...)
Well in their online recipe for the Onion Rings they want them cut 1/4" thick. I think that's too thick. I thought it was going to be more like the fried onions on burgers they had in the 2006 June issue No.57. The recipe is called Crispy Onions. The recipe states the onions are just thinly sliced onion fried in oil and they stay crispy overnight if stored in an airtight container.

Maybe I will try these instead.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Green Bean Casserole with Onion Rings by luvnit (Well in their online...)
Alton Brown just did a Green Bean Casserole and he baked his onions in the oven.

2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Nonstick cooking spray

Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
Combine the onions, flour, panko and salt in a large mixing bowl and toss to combine. Coat a sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray and evenly spread the onions on the pan. Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven and bake until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes. Toss the onions 2 to 3 times during cooking. Once done, remove from the oven and set aside until ready to use. Turn the oven down to 400 degrees F.