recipe request for herb crusted tenderloin
  Re: (...)
need the recipe for thanksgiving. lost the issue #27 that it was in.
thank you
  Re: recipe request for herb crusted tenderloin by kelleen (need the recipe for ...)
Hello, Kelleen, and welcome!

Encrusted Beef Tenderloin
(Cuisine, October 2000, Issue 23, p. 7)

Makes: Six 4-oz. Servings Total Time: 55 Minutes Rating: Intermediate

For the Tenderloin—
Clean and Trim:
2 lbs. beef tenderloin, center cut

Coat with:
2 T. Dijon mustard

Grind in Food Processor:
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 cup fresh parsley leaves
2 T. black peppercorns, crushed
4 cloves garlic
2 t. lemon zest (1 lemon)
2 t. fresh thyme leaves
2 t. fresh rosemary leaves
1 t. kosher salt

For the Accompaniments—
Prepare and Serve Tenderloin With:
6 roasted red potatoes
4 cups mesclun mix salad greens
6 French bread rounds, toasted
1 1/2 cups Cabernet Sauce, see below

For the Cabernet Sauce—
Saute in 2 T. Olive Oil:
4 cups mushrooms, sliced (8 oz.)
1 1/2 cups white onion, minced
1 cup honey roast ham, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced

Add:
2 T. tomato paste

Deglaze with:
1/3 cup cabernet sauvignon

Add:
2 T. unsalted butter

Sprinkle with:
2 T. all-purpose flour

Add and Simmer:
2 cups beef broth (14-oz. can)
1 sprig fresh thyme

Strain and Add:
1 t. balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Sprinkle each Plate with:
Pomegranate seeds

Related Recipes:

Cabernet Sauce

Preheat oven to 450°.

Clean and trim beef tenderloin. Trim off the silverskin, cut a flap under one end. Hold end of membrane taut as you slide knife underneath it to cut it away.

Coat the tenderloin with Dijon mustard using a pastry brush. Don’t forget the ends. This mustard layer will help the herb crust stick to the roast. Peppercorns won’t break up in food processor so crush them before processing.

Grind crust ingredients in food processor crust until finely chopped. Spread the herb mixture in a layer on a sheet of parchment or waxed paper. Lay the tenderloin on the herbs and roll to coat. Pat extra on the ends. Heat oil for Cabernet Sauce in saute pan to medium.

Saute mushrooms, onion, ham, and garlic until brown and crust forms in pan.

Add tomato paste; cook until mahogany color. The crust on the pan is where the best flavor is.

Deglaze pan with cabernet, scraping the bottom to remove the crust and work it into the sauce. Simmer until wine is nearly evaporated.

Add butter.

Sprinkle in flour. Cook 2 minutes to eliminate starchy taste.

Add thyme sprig and broth; whisk smooth. Return to simmer to thicken sauce slightly.

Strain and discard solids. Add vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Reheat when ready to serve. Cut rounds of French bread to fit slices of tenderloin. Brush with oil and toast in oven for 10 minutes at 450°. You can do this even a day ahead. Coat roasting rack with nonstick spray to keep herb crust from sticking. Place meat on the rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast for 40 minutes. The meat is medium-rare when it reaches 130°. Let rest 10–15 minutes under aluminum foil tent. Now is the time to reheat sauce and potatoes.

Sprinkle each plate with pomegranate seeds.

Cabernet Sauce
(Cuisine, December 2000, Issue 24, p. 8)

Makes: 1 1/2 Cups Total Time: 25 Minutes Rating: Easy

Saute in 2 T. Olive Oil:
4 cups mushrooms, sliced (8 oz.)
1 1/2 cups white onion, minced
1 cup honey roast ham, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced

Add:
2 T. tomato paste

Deglaze with:
2/3 cup cabernet sauvignon

Add:
2 T. unsalted butter

Sprinkle with:
2 T. all-purpose flour

Add and Simmer:
2 cups beef broth (14-oz. can)
1 sprig fresh thyme

Strain and Add:
1 t. balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Related Recipes:

Encrusted Beef Tenderloin

Heat oil in saute pan to medium. Saute mushrooms, onion, ham, and garlic until brown and crust forms in pan.

Add tomato paste; cook until mahogany color.

Deglaze pan with cabernet, scraping the bottom to remove the crust and work it into the sauce. Simmer until wine is nearly evaporated.

Add butter.

Sprinkle in flour. Cook 2 minutes to eliminate starchy taste.

Add thyme sprig and broth; whisk smooth. Return to simmer to thicken sauce slightly.

Strain and discard solids. Add vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Reheat when ready to serve.

Is this what you're looking for?

PJ
PJ
  Re: recipe request for herb crusted tenderloin by kelleen (need the recipe for ...)
Welcome, Kelleen!

Wondering how this one slipped by....love the "sound" of the cab-sav sauce! Some really good "oldies" have been popping up here recently. It may be time to go back and take a look at those early [Email]C@H[/Email] issues!!! This looks like it could well be Friday's dinner....have everything for it, including the pomegranates which were going to be for a vinaigrette.
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: recipe request for herb crusted tenderloin by MUSICMAKER (Welcome, Kelleen![br...)
Kelleen, did you hiccup while posting? This is the second request I've seen for this.... Now you have two recipes for the same dish, is it the one you remember?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: recipe request for herb crusted tenderloin by cjs (Kelleen, did you hic...)
Jean, I never saw your post (or Kelleen's first request, for that matter). Too many early mornings, I guess!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: recipe request for herb crusted tenderloin by pjcooks (Jean, I never saw yo...)
and I didn't see this one either - hope I didn't scare her off...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: recipe request for herb crusted tenderloin by cjs (and I didn't see thi...)
Quote:

and I didn't see this one either - hope I didn't scare her off...

Nah, we're a tougher bunch than that

PJ
PJ