Makiing Evaporated milk
  Re: (...)
Somewhere, sometime, I know I read how to make evaporated milk, or at least an acceptable sub. think i can find the darn thing now????? NO

I'm all set to make a little pumpkin pie for tonite and it's raining so hard the alley sewer is backed up - so, I'm not going to the store in this mess.

But having the cranberries, dressing, turkey tonite, I just can not make this darn pie - so who has the formula, please???? (like I really need a pie, but what he heck!)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Makiing Evaporated milk by cjs (Somewhere, sometime,...)
Here's one quote:

Evaporated milk is whole milk freed of 60% of its moisture. Reconstitute by adding 1/2 cup water to the same quantity of Evap milk ....1:1....1 cup reconstituted is equivalent to 1 cup fresh whole milk.

I'm still looking.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
While I'm waiting for the magical response to solve all my problems, I think I remember reading something about making powdered milk with 30-40% less liquid...does that sound familiar?

I'll go clean the toilet while I wait.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Makiing Evaporated milk by Lorraine (Here's one quote:[br...)
How about this?

Canned milk with about 60% of the water removed. It can be used as a substitute for cream or mixed with water to substitute for milk.

Maybe sub the cream for the EM?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Makiing Evaporated milk by Lorraine (How about this?[br][...)
to me canned and evaporated milk is the same...? (I think I'm missing what you're saying Lorraine...

O.K., what I'm going to try is -

1/3 c. powder is needed for 1 cup of milk - so I'm using 2/3 cup powder and 6 1/2 oz.(40%) water and added buttermilk to make the 12 oz. needed for the pie fillig. We shall see, what we shall see....
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Makiing Evaporated milk by cjs (to me canned and eva...)
Go see my response to the other thread

But here

In the absence of evaporated milk, one option is to take some dry milk and reconstitute it using only 40% of the recommended water. That would give you the right texture. It is difficult to find dry whole milk (because the fat in it tends to spoil and so should be refrigerated), so you would most likely be using dry nonfat milk, which would cause some adjustment in flavor.

Or you could take a page from Southern cooks and use buttermilk, which is often used in the breading process for fried chicken. It has the thick texture to help the coating adhere and certainly gives a boost to the flavor, although it might be more on the tart side, where evaporated milk leans towards sweetness.

You can also use some cream instead of evaporated milk, although you might find that too rich.

If you have a little time, though, you can easily reduce a quantity of milk by half or more. Put it in a pan on the stove, bring it to a simmer, and let it reduce. A wide-mouth pan such as a saucier will allow more surface area for faster evaporation. Keep the milk below the boil, to keep it from curdling, and make sure it doesn't scorch on the bottom of the pan, or you'll have a tough time scrubbing it off.
  Re: Re: Makiing Evaporated milk by DFen911 (Go see my response t...)
this is funny, we're both typing at the same time!!! thanks denise.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Makiing Evaporated milk by cjs (this is funny, we're...)
WHOOPEE! It worked - the filling is great! If anything, the filling seems to be more full-flavored. (I know I sound like some wine snob) But, it's something I will do again - I may just use 1/2 or 2/3 evap. milk and the rest buttermilk. I love the texture.
www.achefsjourney.com
Incoming! I'm lobbing 2 cans crosscountry. I'm glad you figured it out, as I don't have the expertise to to anything except cybersend you a couple of cans, which would work only if you were cybercooking.

Sally
  Re: CATCH by lxxf (Incoming! I'm lobbi...)
How's this?

Evaporated Milk

1/3 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
6 tablespoons water

1 1/2 cups warm water
1 cup powdered milk
2 tablespoons butter

Mix powdered milk and warm water together.
Add butter.
In a small pan, heat mixture together.
Beat well, cool, and store in the refrigerator.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy