Bill's & Ginger Salmon
  Re: (...)
I played with last night's dinner and had lots of fun. Both the salmon sauce recipes (Bill's and the one Sharon mentioned from the LCBO mag) sounded so good from what ya'all have been saying, so decided to do both at the same time to compare.

We loved both of them, but the surprise was when we combined the two (on the plate) what a wonderful combination that was, so I'm going to rewrite the recipe and try that later this week.

I did use the butter called for in both recipes, but instead of heavy cream I used evaporated milk in both and still got that wonderful 'mouth feel' and richness.

Here's the recipe for the Red Onion Ginger Cream Sauce for Salmon from the magazine if anyone wants it - it's really good, also. Both are!!

Red Onion Ginger Cream Sauce for Salmon - Lcbo
Serves 4

4 pcs. thick salmon fillet - each 6-oz.
Salt & pepper
3 T. sesame seeds -- toasted
1 T. butter
1/2 small red onion -- thinly sliced
1 1/2 T. minced ginger root
2 T. rice vinegr
1 cup Heavy Cream (i Used Evap Milk)

Sprinkle salmon with salt & pepper; press tops into seeds.
Place skin side down on butter foil-lined baking sheet.
Bake in 450 F. oven for 10-15 min. or till 138 F.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter over med-high heat.
Sauté onions and ginger till soft, about 5 min.
Stir in vinegar till evaporated.
Stir in cream; bring to a boil.
Boil for 2 min; season w/salt & pepper.
Spoon sauce on serving plates and top with salmon.

Would be good served with bok choy.

Description:
"LCBO magazine ad for Real Cream."
NOTES : 6 oz. salmon + 4 T. sauce = 10 points
-----

Because it was so darn cold outside, I roasted the salmon in the oven and used my torch on the pineapple and grapefruit, then put in oven just to add a little more warmth.

Salmon with Grapefruit Beurre Blanc
[Image: OldBaysSalmon.jpg]

Salmon with Ginger Cream Sauce
[Image: BothSauces.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Bill's & Ginger Salmon by cjs (I played with last n...)
Wow! Both recipes look so good and I think I will try the evaporated milk trick. I keep forgetting about that, but it is much better for you. I believe I have some here too.

Good ideas Jean! You will keep us all fit and trim.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Bill's & Ginger Salmon by cjs (I played with last n...)
Very nice Jean! Copied and saved.

BTW, Jean, I have used fat free evap. milk a lot. This wouldn't work here would it? Seems like I've had trouble with that before...some sauces it worked and some it broke.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Bill's & Ginger Salmon by Gourmet_Mom (Very nice Jean! Cop...)
I don't know Daphne, I just hesitate to go too far...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bill's & Ginger Salmon by luvnit (Wow! Both recipes l...)
Jean, what a great job you did in combining both these wonderful recipes - - The sauce looks great and looks like it has wonderful texture and mouth feel - - I will make this the first opportunity I have - - My wife Marcela, being a chef, tends to be more a fish and potato gal, and I know she will love your sauce as well!!!

Chef Bartlett
Chef Barttlet
"WE only cook for SINNERS - - we BURN the HELL out of EVERYTHING!"
  Re: Re: Bill's & Ginger Salmon by cjs (I don't know Daphne,...)
Interesting--did the evaporated milk make the sauce sweeter or just silkier? I will try it when you post the final.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Bill's & Ginger Salmon by Old Bay (Interesting--did the...)
ChefB - I can see this plated on a potato galette and using the toasted sesame seeds also. And bok choy was really good with the combination also.

Bill, I haven't tasted the version with cream, so can't say if it is sweeter, just know it was darn tasty.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bill's & Ginger Salmon by cjs (ChefB - I can see th...)
Combining the sauces - wow that sounds even better that ever!

We served the salmon on simple orzo with scallions and stir fried bok choy, carrots, onions, etc. with lots of ginger, garlic, and cilantro. It was a perfect dinner.

We cooked the salmon on the G5 and it was perfect. We'll do the grapefruit version soon.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Bill's & Ginger Salmon by Harborwitch (Combining the sauces...)
Sharon, what's the G5?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Bill's & Ginger Salmon by luvnit (Sharon, what's the G...)
Welllllllll! It's the George Foreman G5 grill. We got the crazy thing because we fell madly in love with cubano's and pannini's - initially. It's a grill and a pannini maker. It also has interchangable grill "plates": waffle iron, griddle/baking pan, and omelet plates with oval indentations to make 3 omelets at a time.

I could go on and on about it - but suffice it say it's a great grill, wonderful waffle iron, and for reheating pizza it's amazing!!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!