I think I'll be pardoned this time...
  Re: (...)
She can't kill me for what I didn't do can she?

As I have mentioned I have had the opportunity to work along side Rick Bayless in the not too distant past...I got to cook one of his dishes in the parking lot of a gourmet grocery store in Des Moines as part of a book signing and then prepare some of his "signature" dishes for a fund raiser dinner for Iowa Public Television (funny thing is they don't even have any of his shows in their programing) and thought it was nice doing it. I was lead Chef for the reception (no pressure with the Chef looking in and offering tips) and got to know the Chef and have been in touch several times since then. I have been offered the chance to come to Chicago and have a job many times since then as well. Family is here and Holly doesn't want to go to a city like that so I have always said no...did again today.

Anyway...I have been told I can not get another cookbook no matter what...well Holly stopped to get the mail today and sure enough there was a box waiting for me...Chef Bayless had sent me a personalized and autographed copy of his 20th Anniversary Edition of Authentic Mexican: Regional Cooking from the Heart of Mexico. I am in hopes she will not be able to kill me for getting another cookbook in this way...

It is just proof that even these "celebrity" Chefs are people too...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: I think I'll be pardoned this time... by firechef (She can't kill me fo...)
Great story, firechef. Thanks for sharing that. I've seen Rick Bayless a few times, the last time was on Iron Chef. I love his style of cooking. What a talented man. And it's always nice to hear that a celebrity chef is truly a nice person. Enjoy your book!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: I think I'll be pardoned this time... by pjcooks ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
Great thing LJ.... Rick is one class act!

I wish he would do another addition of Salsas that Cook!
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: I think I'll be pardoned this time... by bbally (Great thing LJ.... R...)
great story and we love Rick Bayless Salsas that cook, too. Chicago would be a huge change for you guys.

I was watching the Food Network last night about the Cooks Illustrated Best Restaurants for different things -- pizza, steak, tacos, burgers, etc. Most of the establishments were out of the way. You could be the chef at a place like that!
  Re: Re: I think I'll be pardoned this time... by HomeCulinarian (great story and we l...)
Now that is a good story! It's nice to hear stories like about well known chefs.

Sounds like you've had some great opportunities.
  Re: Re: I think I'll be pardoned this time... by DFen911 (Now that is a good s...)
nice way to collect book!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I think I'll be pardoned this time... by cjs (nice way to collect ...)
He certainly sounds like a wonderful person. That was so thoughtful and kind. FC, you much have made a great impression on him.

I am so in awe of the people you chefs have come in contact with.
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: I think I'll be pardoned this time... by Corinne (He certainly sounds ...)
Really good story. I have only ever heard good things about this man.
Wow! That's cool!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura