I made a promise - apple pie
  Re: (...)
Me and my big mouth. Sure, Jennifer, I'll bake you an apple pie - I've got lots of apples but can't find the "perfect" apple pie recipe ( is this like - dumb ? I don't think I've made one in a million years.

Anyone got an old favorite, foolproof, amazing apple pie recipe they'd care to share??? Or a point in the right direction???
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: I made a promise - apple pie by Harborwitch (Me and my big mouth....)
The only thing I can tell you Sharon, is that I promised one for YS for his last BD last year. It was a beautiful pie coming out. Then we cut it...there was about an inch between the top crust and the filling. I think Lori (Recipegirl) advised cooking the apples. You may want to check her site unless someone here comes in with something!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: I made a promise - apple pie by Harborwitch (Me and my big mouth....)
Sharon, This is the apple pie filling I use for freezing every year - well, the last two. It makes a great pie and It does not leave the gap between the crust and the apples. I have made it fresh and put right into a pie shell, but you do need to make sure you cool and drain the cooked apples. Right off the top of my head I can't remember if I cook a little longer or a little shorter than the recipe calls for - just until barely fork tender. You would think the pie would be mush by the time it finishes cooking, but it is not.

I do not have the rest of the "pie" directions. I just got the filling directions from someone, but I think it was a CI recipe. I proceed with putting a little flour in the filling - especially when making from thawed apples (you may not need this and it is no more than a couple tablespoons) and more cinnamon - to what ever your taste is. And I make my standard pie crust. Hope this helps.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Apple Filling

Recipe By :Cook's Illustrated
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup granulated sugar (3 1/2 ounces) -- plus 1 teaspoon
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar (1 3/4 ounces)
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 1/2 pounds tart apples (firm) -- about 5 medium, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (see note)
2 1/2 pounds sweet apples (firm) -- about 5 medium, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (see note)

For Pie: Mix 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, zest, and
cinnamon in large bowl; add apples and toss to combine. Transfer apples to
Dutch oven (do not wash bowl) and cook, covered, over medium heat,
stirring frequently, until apples are tender when poked with fork but
still hold their shape, 15 to 20 minutes. (Apples and juices should gently
simmer during cooking.) Transfer apples and juices to rimmed baking sheet
and cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Set large colander over
now-empty bowl; transfer cooled apples to colander. Shake colander to
drain off as much juice as possible (cooked apples should measure about 8
cups); discard juice.

Freeze individual batches of the cooked, drained apple filling in
quart-sized freezer bags (this doubles as a great alternative to canning).
When you're ready to make the pie, simply thaw the apples in the
refrigerator the night before, assemble as per the recipe instructions,
and bake as directed.

Source:
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: I made a promise - apple pie by esgunn (Sharon, This is the ...)
Thanks Erin. This sounds really good - I'll run it by Jennifer and see what she thinks.
  Re: Re: I made a promise - apple pie by esgunn (Sharon, This is the ...)
I am going to check this out this fall when the apples are available... we have a local USDA research orchard here at WSU and the fruit is great and very affordable.

My mother used to can Apple Pie filling every year when I was a kid, and it made for SUPER easy apple cobbler, and now thanks to pie crust in the pillsbury aisle... easy pie. My mom is still quite alive but does not do any canning now (although the more the dollar gets hammered and food prices rise, I think I should get the gear and learn myself) but to make a long story short, just a few weeks ago I ate the last jar, canned over a decade ago... and it was still nutritious and delicious.

Freezing might be a great way to do this... I already "mass produce" certain things, like stroganoff, spaghetti sauce, certain soups and sauces, and then I vacuum seal them and freeze them in bags laid flat... works INCREDIBLY well, and makes the food ultra convenient.

Mmmmm.. now I want pie.
  Re: Re: I made a promise - apple pie by jeffdubya (I am going to check ...)
Welcome to the forum. I am also from this wonderfull state.

We tried canning apple pie filling (I have two apple trees), but really didn't like the result - may have been the recipe. But we freeze this one, and it works great - and we have the freezer space. I take it through the step of draining the juice off, then bag and vacuume seal it. We can have fresh tasting pie all winter long. Just thaw in the refer overnight add a little flour and a little more cinnamon and you are good to go - well and a pie crust.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: I made a promise - apple pie by esgunn (Welcome to the forum...)
I would only add Sharon that some dried cranberries are sure good added to an apple pie!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I made a promise - apple pie by cjs (I would only add Sha...)
Nice warm piece of apple pie with a nice sharp cheddar melted on the top...now that is good stuff. I recommend Cabot Hunter's Select or Extra Sharp from Vermont which is one of the only places that does cheddar cheese along side and even on an apple pie.

I'll have to compare the recipe in this thread to my mother's recipe. If I can find my mother's recipe I'll risk life and limb and post it...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: I made a promise - apple pie by firechef (Nice warm piece of a...)
Cheddar with it is the only way for Roy Rogers.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I made a promise - apple pie by cjs (Cheddar with it is t...)
Jennifer didn't want a cooked apple apple pie. The crust came out great, I used 1/3 whole wheat pastry flour and it was so nice in the pie crust.

Oh yes, a nice slab of sharp cheddar goin' all melty on top is pure heaven.