Southwestern Steak Dinner - Review March 31st.
  Re: (...)
O.K., here's Birthday Bill's choice for our next dinner review.

A couple of things I disagree with with the recipe - been debating whether to say anything or not, but oh well... potatoes get too water logged and mushy cooking them on high heat; and the order of prepping the dinner, the magazine has us cooking the steaks and letting them wait for the spinach, they are such small amounts of meat they'll be cold, so I would make the spinach and let it wait for the steaks. (my opinon, only)

Southwestern Tenderloin Steaks with chipotle mashed potatoes
Makes 2 servings

For the potatoes –
Boil; mash and add:
1 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, quartered
1/3 cup low fat buttermilk
2 T. scallions
1 T. unsalted butter
2 tsp. chipotle chiles in adobo, minced
Salt to taste

For the steaks –
Combine: sauté in 1 T olive oil:
2 tsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
4 beef tenderloin filets (2 oz. each)

For the spinach –
Heat; add:
1 T. olive oil
1/2 cup grape tomatoes
8 cups spinach leaves

Boil potatoes in salted water in a saucepan over high heat for 15 min. or until tender. (note: hmmmm, I don’t cook potatoes over high heat) Drain, return potatoes to the pan, and dry briefly over medium heat.

Off heat, mash potatoes to desired consistency, then add the buttermilk, scallions, butter, chiles, and salt. Keep warm over very low heat.

Combine brown sugar, salt & spices for the steaks in a bowl; coat filets on both sides with the spice rub.
Heat 1 T. oil in a sauté pan over medium-high, add the steaks and sauté 2-3 min. per side for medium-rare, or to desired doneness. Remove from pan; keep warm.

Heat 1 T. oil over medium-high in second sauté pan. Add tomatoes and cook 1 minute, or until blistered.
Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

To assemble, divide potatoes between two plates and top with some of the crema (see recipe). Arrange the spinach and tomatoes on the potatoes, then layer the steaks on top.
Top each steak with 1 tsp. compound butter (see recipe). (Chill remaining butter and use on fish or veggies)

Lime Crema for the potatoes
Makes 1/4 cup
1/4 cup sour cream
1 T. fresh lime juice
Pinch of salt

Whisk all ingred. together and chill.

Compound Butter for the steaks
Makes 1/2 cup
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 T. fresh minced parsley
1 tsp. lemon zest, minced
2 T. fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp. kosher salt

Combine all ingred. until incorporated. Roll in a log; chill until firm.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Southwestern Steak Dinner - Review March 31st. by cjs (O.K., here's Birthda...)
This looks like a dinner Peter will enjoy----I will have to wait, though---he is off to the States in a few days for about 3 weeks---let's hope NO kidney stone episode!!!! STRICT instructions have been given to family to be sure he has plenty of fluids during the day---I hope they pay attention!!!

I will make this and post review a bit later than the 31st------HAPPY BIRTHDAY BILL!!!! Thinking of you beforehand with all good wishes!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Southwestern Steak Dinner - Review March 31st. by cjs (O.K., here's Birthda...)
I like your modifications--I may mix a little butter with the olive oil---
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Is this from a former magazine? Either I am having de ja vu or I have made this before.

What issue is this from?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Southwestern Steak Dinner - Review March 31st. by luvnit (Is this from a forme...)
It is issue 61 Feb 2007
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Southwestern Steak Dinner - Review March 31st. by esgunn (It is issue 61 Feb 2...)
I made this entire dinner last April for my son's birthday bbq (just what every 8 year old wants!). My mother, sister and BIL raved for days about it. It was very good and it was relatively easy to put together even with having to talk to guests. If you stack it up like the photo in the magazine, it's a dynamite presentation.

The kids had plain steak or hot dogs - LOL.
  Re: Re: Southwestern Steak Dinner - Review March 31st. by Trixxee (I made this entire d...)
Looks good to me. I agree with the modifications, also. I'm interested to see what my crowd has to say about the potatoes.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Southwestern Steak Dinner - Review March 31st. by Gourmet_Mom (Looks good to me. I...)
Here's the presentation for those who don't have the magazine -

[Image: SWSteak.jpg]

lookin' good -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Southwestern Steak Dinner - Review March 31st. by cjs (Here's the presentat...)
Ahhh yes! This will be a pleasure to make again and review. Excellent choice.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Southwestern Steak Dinner - Review March 31st. by luvnit (Ahhh yes! This will ...)
Game on! I'm in.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)