Nigella's Curried Mellow Meatballs
  Re: (...)
Oh my, the flavors in this dish just blew us away!! It's such a wonderful and easy dish.

[Image: CurryMeatballs.jpg]

Curry Mellow Meatballs

3 T. red curry paste
2 T. vegetable oil
40 organic mini meatballs (I made mine out of 1/3 lb. each: pork, beef & chicken and made them about 1/2 oz. each)
1 tsp. grd. Ginger
1/2 tsp. grd. Cinnamon
14 fl.oz. can coconut milk
14 oz. can chopped tomatoes
14 oz. can chickpeas, drained
12 oz. diced butternut squash & sweet potato (in a pkg. from the supermarket) (I roasted butternut squash squares until almost tender, then added)
2 cup chicken stock
2 T. honey
Cooked rice, to serve
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I only had frozen, so doesn't look real good in pix - but flavor was there! )

Heat the curry paste and oil in a large wide pan, and when it starts sizzling, add the meatballs, turning them in the red oil mixture.

Sprinkle over the ginger and cinnamon and fry the meatballs for a couple of minutes.

Add the coconut milk, chopped tomatoes, and drained chickpeas Stir in the diced squash and sweet potato and then the stock and honey.

Bring the pan to a boil, and then simmer for 20 minutes. Serve with rice and then decorate each plate with some chopped cilantro. Serves 4-6

Nigella Lawson’s Express
-----

Forgot to mention - and as an added wonderfulness - Amavi Cellars 2004 Syrah from Walla Walla was absolutely perfect with this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Nigella's Curried Mellow Meatballs by cjs (Oh my, the flavors i...)
Wow Jean, DH has recently told me he likes curry. (He's branched out for lunch lately due to a business meeting and now frequents a Thai restro.) I may have to try this. Thanks! Copied and saved!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Copied and saved! This is right up my alley I am 'crazy for curry' and 'garbanzo for chickpeas'.

Looks georgous to me!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
Looks Fantastic! Yum.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Nigella's Curried Mellow Meatballs by esgunn (Looks Fantastic! Yu...)
Sorry folks, I'm bringing so many old ones to the top today!! Didn't realize I had posted the recipe for the curry meatballs.

Labs - this is so tasty - if you're interested.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Nigella's Curried Mellow Meatballs by cjs (Sorry folks, I'm bri...)
Thanks, Jean! I remember having seen this one, but the stores here still hadn't had red curry paste, and I hadn't felt like making my own at the time (as I had done when it was needed for the Thai Chicken Skewer Wraps). Now, the stores DO have red curry paste. In fact, back then, they only had had an expensive brand of yellow curry paste. Now, not only do they have the red, they also have the yellow and green - each much less expensive than that other yellow paste (which they still carry, as well).

Right now, my experimentation is with Indian curries, instead of Asian (where the pastes would be used), but these meatballs do sound yummy, so I'm making sure I copy the recipe not only to my general recipe files, but also to my list to make soon.

Thanks again!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Nigella's Curried Mellow Meatballs by labradors (Thanks, Jean! I rem...)
Thanks Jean, for bringing this up, since I forgot about it. It sounds really good.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Nigella's Curried Mellow Meatballs by Mare749 (Thanks Jean, for bri...)
This is soooo up our alley. It's on the menu for next week. Thank you for sharing.
  Re: Re: Nigella's Curried Mellow Meatballs by Trixxee (This is soooo up our...)
Jean

this sounded so good I am glad you brought the recipe to the top.

I hope to make soon.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Nigella's Curried Mellow Meatballs by mjkcooking (Jean[br][br]this sou...)
When I showed it to Roy - all he asked was - what do I need from the store!! He loved it also. It's on our list for the next few days somewhere.
www.achefsjourney.com