OT-Surviving the Storms...so far...kind of...
  Re: (...)
Hello everyone!

The first night of storms missed us by about 70 miles over Memorial Day weekend. A good friend lost his Aunt and Uncle and his own home in Parkersburg, Iowa that day. Last night another state wide outbreak of severe storms hit Iowa and this time a tornado missed our home by less than 5 miles. I was at work and my two hour commute took over five hours due to flooding rains and poor visibility. The lightning was intense and the winds almost impossible to drive in at times. The winds are what did in my house at about 3:30 a.m. One of my big Black Walnut trees is now in the bedroom upstairs. The roof is now 2x4s and tarps and the downstairs is all we have. One of our cats was killed in the incident but other than that we are just a bit shaken up and wet...we ended up with over 8 inches of rain during the storms.

I'll be back on Monday to see how everything is going...we are expecting more storms starting Sunday afternoon through all of next week. Gotta love spring and summer storms...

Did I mention I SAW A TORNADO while driving home? That was like looking into the Gates of He!! itself it scared me so much...My new grill is no more also as part of the tree took out my deck as well.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: OT-Surviving the Storms...so far...kind of... by firechef (Hello everyone![br][...)
Oh LJ I am so very sorry - but so very glad that you, Holly, and Kambree are alright. Those things scare me more than anything - I am saying prayers for you and your family - and all the others!

Stay well and safe!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: OT-Surviving the Storms...so far...kind of... by Harborwitch (Oh LJ I am so very s...)
Oh no, I'm so sorry! I can't imagine how scary tornadoes must be. I'm sorry about your good friend's losses.
  Re: OT-Surviving the Storms...so far...kind of... by firechef (Hello everyone![br][...)
What a frightening experience for you, LJ. Glad you and yours are okay, but it sounds like you've got quite the mess to clean up. I was wondering about you when I heard of those storms in your neck of the woods. I'm sorry about your cat, and your friends, how horrible. Thanks for letting us know what's happening, let us know if we can help.

Take care,

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: OT-Surviving the Storms...so far...kind of... by pjcooks (What a frightening e...)
LJ, I'm so sorry to hear this...move to Oregon! In my 50 some odd years here I've never even heard of a toronado here. My prayers and thoughts are with you and yours.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: OT-Surviving the Storms...so far...kind of... by bjcotton (LJ, I'm so sorry to ...)
There mere idea of a storm like that is terrifying. I just cannot imagine the horror of actually being in one - or seeing one. Bob's daughter lives in hurricane country (Florida) and her Mom lost the roof of her house a few years ago. No way I'd want to live there either.

Ya know my last full summer on the Island we had tornadoes in the area - scared the cr@p outta me, I lived in a mobile home and my office was a 14'x 16' box that floated in the slough. There was NOWHERE to go.

I've given thought to Oregon . . . just got to convince Bob that he wants to move up there.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: OT-Surviving the Storms...so far...kind of... by Harborwitch (There mere idea of a...)
Oh LJ! You have been in my thoughts and prayers all day. I saw the report this morning and knew it was close. Be well and stay low! I will continue watching the weather closely. I'm glad your family is OK, and hope your friend will soon get past his loss.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT-Surviving the Storms...so far...kind of... by Gourmet_Mom (Oh LJ! You have bee...)
Egads! Stay safe.

Sally
  Re: Re: OT-Surviving the Storms...so far...kind of... by lxxf (Egads! Stay safe.[b...)
LJ I am so sorry to hear about that horrible mess you are in. It is one thing to have severe damage on your home( which is awful enough) but to loose friends and family members! Prayers go out to you.
Brenda
  Re: Re: OT-Surviving the Storms...so far...kind of... by coco hernandez (LJ I am so sorry to...)
LJ so glad to hear from you. - When I saw the weather reports last night
I thought you miight be in the line of fire.
My Mother and sister in South East Iowa are ok. - no damage or much of a
store there.

Please be careful - I have lived through those Tornados and they are
so very scary.
Hope to hear you able to get everthing repaired.
So sorry on your loss,

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.