Cool new book
  Re: (...)
So I am cruising at the library today and found this book - "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois. I was intrigued and brought it home. The premise is you make a gigunda batch (as in a one- or two-week supply of dough) that you keep in the refrigerator and then cut off a hunk, shape it, allow it to rest briefly on the counter and then toss it in the oven. No sponge or starter, no proofing, no kneading, no letting it rise to double or triple volume, no punching down. How cool is this?

The recipe uses unbleached, white, all-purpose flour, yeast, salt and water. The have provided recipes for all different types of breads from peasant loaves, pumpernickel, rye, herb, flatbreads, enriched breads, even pastries and sweet rolls, all using the big batch in the fridge method. I can't wait to try this. Unfortunately for me, to achieve the best results with the crunchy crust, they recommend a pizza peel and a stone, neither of which I have (but am going to get, now!)

Has anybody else heard of this? I can't wait to try some of these recipes. They do say that you can bake it in NON-STICK loaf pans (which of course, I don't have, either!) that have been greased since it is a wetter dough than what you are used to using and tends to stick. This will also not produce the nice crust that a true artisanal bread fan looks for, but I think I would be willing to forgo that crust for the sake of fresh bread every day or so.

The whole concept just intrigues me!
  Re: Cool new book by iBcookin (So I am cruising at ...)
Oh great! A library book got me - and I didn't even have to go to the library. I have the fridge space. I may have to look at our library it's a bit over the budget for this month.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cool new book by Harborwitch (Oh great! [img]/ubbt...)
"neither of which I have (but am going to get, now!)" IB, LOL, now you sound like me! I've got just about everything one can think of (including a pizza stone and peel), but let someone mention something I don't have and I just can't wait until I get it. Sharon is holding a meat grinder attachment for my stand mixer and a food mill for me...all I have to do is come down and get it. Don't have either of those.....yet!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Cool new book by bjcotton ("neither of which I ...)
Bait, M'dear! Of course they are in a box by the front door - I think Bob is just ignoring them - hoping you'll come get them! LOL Jennifer and Starfish are going to be gone for a month Hint! Hint!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cool new book by Harborwitch (Bait, M'dear! Of co...)
I read about this book somewhere - good idea to check out the library first! (who am I kidding, if I see it, I'll want it... )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com