Copycat/Homemade Bar Keeper's Friend?
  Re: (...)
Somewhere along the line, I think somebody here mentioned the cleaning product called "Bar Keeper's Friend," and how wonderful it is. The problem is: it is not available where I live.

Thus, I'm wondering if any of you know of a "recipe" for making something at least reasonably similar at home.

After searching on the Web, I've discovered that the active ingredient of Bar Keeper's Friend is oxalic acid dihydrate. Also, some things such as black pepper and parsley have naturally occurring oxalic acid, so I'm wondering if there could be some kind of "home remedy" like putting a bunch of parsley and black pepper into a blender, or something like that.

Any ideas, or should I just get a sand blaster?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Copycat/Homemade Bar Keeper's Friend? by labradors (Somewhere along the ...)
You can use baking soda and clean most anything you would use Bar Keeper's Friend for. I double checked this at the Sixty Uses for Baking Soda site. I even found some uses I didn't know about.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Copycat/Homemade Bar Keeper's Friend? by labradors (Somewhere along the ...)
Labs, I have the liquid, and it does not have the ingredients list - but says it clens with citric acid.

I have not tried these but this "looks" like a good cleaner site
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
Google it--they have a website and you can order it--it looks fairly reasonable and it does work better than any other product or home brew. I'm not that familier with oxalic acid and it's ph so I'm afraid to suggest ordering it and diluting to a safe and comfortable level. I'm sure it would take more than an extraction from parsley or something else in nature.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Copycat/Homemade Bar Keeper's Friend? by Old Bay (Google it--they have...)
Old Bay: As I said, I have already searched. Otherwise, I wouldn't be asking.

Daphne: Baking soda is wonderful for a lot of things, but I have a couple of pots and pans that baking soda won't help, which is why I was inquiring about this. Thanks, though: that link will still be handy.

Erin: The company's web site has the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) for each product. I had only looked at the original and the cookware cleaner, which has oxalic acid dihydrate. It turns out those were the only two products that used it. The rest (except for the Lime and Rust Remover and the Spot Remover) all had citric acid and surfactants. Since citric acid is, essentially, lemon juice (or lime, orange, etc.), and surfactants are the typical surface cleaners, such as dish-washing liquid, maybe I can throw something together that way. If so, your link (and others like it) may also be helpful.

Thanks for all the responses. I was hoping, though, that someone would have an actual "tested recipe" for a more exact answer to my original question.
  Re: Re: Copycat/Homemade Bar Keeper's Friend? by labradors (Old Bay: As I said, ...)
Ok want to know a neat trick we did in school with our nasty pans?

Take a big pot of boiling water, that your smaller ones can fit into one at a time. When the water comes to a boil add about 1 - 1 1/2 cups of casade dishwasher soap, powder kind.

Lower the nasty pot in for about 15-20 minutes and the stuff wipes off pretty easily.
  Re: Re: Copycat/Homemade Bar Keeper's Friend? by DFen911 (Ok want to know a ne...)
That's something I had forgotten. Back in the States, I had done the same thing with Electrasol. I'll have to see if anything like that is available here - not sure, since dishwashers are VERY rare here.
  Re: Re: Copycat/Homemade Bar Keeper's Friend? by labradors (That's something I h...)
I saw something regarding Cola and another with a dryer sheet in reference to burnt on popcorn...if that helps. Oddly, the dryer sheet thing worked. HMMM?

I didn't know the problem, so didn't save sites. I can back track if you think this would help. There was also a report of scrubbing with aluminum foil. That one made my teeth hurt just reading it, but another thought.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.