Cream Cheese & Strawberry French Toast
  Re: (...)
This is the 2nd one I'm serving Sunday and it's really good also. I did cover with foil for the first 15 min. of baking so the bread cubes wouldn't get too brown.

Cream Cheese & Strawberries

Filling:
16 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
16 oz. frozen unsweetened strawberries
1 T. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
Custard:
12 eggs
3 3/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp. salt
9 T. Butter, melted
------
1 1/2 lbs. French bread
Confectioner’s sugar

For the filling:
Beat cream cheese and sugar until fluffy.
Add strawberries, vanilla, and cinnamon; stir until well blended. Set aside.

For the bread:
Whisk eggs, milk, salt and butter together until foamy. Set aside.
Cut bread into cubes (should have about 18 cups)

Spread the bread cubes in a baking pan and bake for 15 min. or until dry and hard at 325. Pull out of oven to cool.
Grease a baking dish and place half the bread cubes in baking dish.

Top with the cream cheese and strawberry mixture.
Top this with the remaining bread cubes.

Pour egg mixture evenly over bread and cream cheese.
Using a spatula slightly press layers down to moisten.
Cover w/plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-24 hours.

Remove plastic wrap and bake at 325 for 35-40 min. or till center appears set and edges are lightly golden. Dust with powdered sugar.
Let stand about 10 min. before serving. Serve with maple syrup.
12 servings
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Cream Cheese & Strawberry French Toast by cjs (This is the 2nd one ...)
Who eats this stuff...one bite would do me. You must have some VERY happy neighbors. No wonder they share seafood with you...LOL!

BTW...I copy this stuff 'cause I may need it for my biz later. But I'm having trouble seein' hunters eat this...HMMMM?????

For me, I'm saving this for anniversary...I LOVE strawberries and cream cheese!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cream Cheese & Strawberry French Toast by Gourmet_Mom (Who eats this stuff....)
I don't know, Daphne, but my family of hunters would have gobbled this up - I had an outdoor oven that fit over my campfire and I baked an awful lot of goodies. Bake it in a foil pan and serve with lots of ham and eggs and they be happy hunters!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cream Cheese & Strawberry French Toast by cjs (I don't know, Daphne...)
I can't wait to try it. I can easily see forgoing the syrup. I think my kids would ask for it every day! And they are not really big suguar/sweets eaters. But they love fruit.

Jean, have you ever used fresh strawberries? Do you need to do anything different with them?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Cream Cheese & Strawberry French Toast by esgunn (I can't wait to try ...)
No, I haven't tried fresh - thot about using them for the brunch, but didn't go that direction. I bet it would work fine.
www.achefsjourney.com