Thursday's Supper
  Re: (...)
Japanese Style Pork Cutlets with steamed veggies [broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, red bliss potatoes, and carrots]

* Exported from MasterCook *

Japanese Style Pork Cutlet

Recipe By :Cuisine Magazine
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:10
Categories : Pork-Ham

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 pound pork loin cutlets
1 1/2 cups medium grain rice
2 cups yellow onions -- sliced
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup mirin -- see "sauces"
1/2 cup soy sauce or oyster sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
4 slices fresh ginger
6 large eggs -- lightly beaten
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 pinch black pepper
2 1/2 cups panko (or bread crumbs)
1/4 cup oil
green onions -- chopped

Prepare rice according to package directions.

Before breading cutlets, beat the eggs in a shallow dish (like a pie plate), mix flour, salt and pepper in a second dish, and place the panko in a third dish.

Pound cutlets between sheets of plastic wrap until 1/4-inch thick. Bread cutlets by first dredging both sides in flour mixture, then dipping into the egg, and following with the panko. Then "double bread," dipping into the egg, then panko again. Transfer to a rack or plate until ready to fry. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a skillet.

Fry cutlets in batches, browning on both sides until cooked through, 6-8 minutes total. Transfer cutlets to a cooling rack set over paper towels to drain.

Simmer onion, broth, mirin, soy sauce, sugar, and ginger in a large saute pan over medium-low heat until onion is soft, 15 minutes.

To serve, place 2 cutlets in the simmering broth (if desired); cook 1 minute to warm through. Remove and slice cutlets, place on top of some rice, ladle with broth, and sprinkle with green onions.

NOTE: If you don't have "mirin", combine sake/sugar in a combination of 3 sake to 1 sugar. I didn't put the cutlets in the broth and everything was wonderful.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Thursday's Supper by bjcotton (Japanese Style Pork ...)
That looks good, Billy. Are you bypassing Wednesday?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Thursday's Supper by pjcooks (That looks good, Bil...)
I've made something just about identical to this (maybe it is identical but I don't think it came from C@H and we love it. Absolutely love it.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Supper by Trixxee (I've made something ...)
Yum, does look good!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thursday's Supper by bjcotton (Japanese Style Pork ...)
Quote:

NOTE: If you don't have "mirin", combine sake/sugar in a combination of 3 sake to 1 sugar.

Just the opposite problem is facing me: I can occasionally get Mirin, but not rice wine nor sake, but my Bulgogi recipe calls for rice wine. Since it uses sugar, anyway, I could probably get away with using the Mirin, but wish I didn't have to do so. I'm hoping a friend, who is currently visiting the States, will be able to find the right kind of rice wine and bring back a bottle of it.

If anyone is interested, here is the link for the Bulgogi recipe I use. It is so good that, one time when I made it for a church dinner (while still in the States), a visiting Korean couple commented on how authentic and homemade it tasted! Needless to say, I stuck with that recipe!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Thursday's Supper by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Oh Labs, that looks delicious. copied
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thursday's Supper by cjs (Oh Labs, that looks ...)
OH Billyj, I was just looking at that one today. I decided to just stir fry the pork into the Kung Pao tho'. But for sure I'm going to try that one when Jame doesn't have to leave for work in a hurry. I really like to sit down and linger over a good dinner.
Oh and what if you can't get Mirin or Sake??? I've only been able to get rice vinegear, that wouldn't work would it??
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Thursday's Supper by cjs (Oh Labs, that looks ...)
Quote:

Oh Labs, that looks delicious. copied

VERY yummy! I always find it interesting that one part of the process is just to liquefy an onion and a kiwi fruit together in a blender.

Quote:

Oh and what if you can't get Mirin or Sake??? I've only been able to get rice vinegear, that wouldn't work would it??

cis: The vinegar would certainly be more acid. That bulgogi recipe calls for both: the rice wine AND the rice vinegar. I do have rice vinegar, and USED to have some rice wine until I moved into this apartment. As I was moving things around, it fell off the counter and broke, and the store at which I bought it doesn't sell it any more. :-(
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Thursday's Supper by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Looks Yummy Billy! Copied!

Labs, I can't wait to try your recipe. I make a Korean Grilled Beef that is very similar and we love it. It will be interesting to see the difference.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Supper by Gourmet_Mom (Looks Yummy Billy! ...)
I was in luck at the Farmer's Market again today - bought some fresh Opah direct from Hawaii for tonight. I'll make an avocado/nectarine type salsa for it. No ripe mangoes on hand. Asparagus and some type of rice dish too.