Mexican Lasagna
  Re: (...)
Hoping one of you will fill in the recipe. I'm so curious. C'mon now someone please share
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Mexican Lasagna by farnfam (Hoping one of you wi...)
Well, Cis, I have one South of the Border Lasagna that was a family favorite as the kids were growing up. Let me see if I have it in MasterCook. I do, here 'tis.

SOUTH OF THE BORDER LASAGNE

2 lbs. ground. Chuck -- crumbled
1 onion -- chopped
1 can tomatoes -- (14 oz.) (14 to 16)
1 can enchilada sauce -- (10 oz.)
1 can sliced ripe olives -- (2 1/4 oz.) include liquid
1 tsp. salt
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1/8 tsp. Pepper•
1/4 cup. salad oil
8 corn tortillas
1 1/2 cup. small-curd cottage cheese
2 eggs
12 oz. Jack cheese -- thinly sliced
4 cup. shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup finely crushed Tortilla chips

Brown beef and onion in a large skillet; drain off fat. Add the tomatoes, enchilada sauce, olives with their liquid, salt, garlic and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Heat oil in a small skillet and heat tortillas one at a time for a few seconds on each side until just softened. Drain tortillas on paper towels; cut each in half.

Mix the cottage cheese with the eggs and set aside.

Spread 1/3 of the meat sauce in a buttered, shallow, 3-quart baking dish; top with half the Jack cheese, half the cottage cheese mixture and half the tortillas halves, arranging each in an even layer.

Repeat layering, using 1/3 more of the meat sauce and the remaining Jack cheese, cottage cheese mixture and the tortilla halves. Spread the remaining meat sauce over and top with cheddar cheese and a border of crushed tortilla chips.

Bake, uncovered, in a 350 F. oven for 20 minutes (35 minutes if made ahead and cold), or until casserole is thoroughly heated and cheddar cheese is melted. Cut into squares or wedges to serve. Makes 8 servings.

Description:
"South of the Border Lasagna was one of my oldest sons, Scott, favorite dinners while he was growing up and the rest of the family was not far behind in our liking it also."

------

I haven't made this for years - I'm quite certain I would cut back on the cheese these days...at least the cheddar for the topping - four cups???? Good Lord, I remember using cheese with abandon
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mexican Lasagna by cjs (Well, Cis, I have on...)
Sounds delicious.

Interestingly, the most delicious lasagne (traditional - not "Mexican" style, or the like) I've ever had, was made by a friend's wife. They are Puerto Rican, and she is a fantastic cook. Unfortunately, I never did get the recipe from her. :-(
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Mexican Lasagna by labradors (Sounds delicious.[br...)
Thanks Jean, sounds great. I can't wait to play! I got some ideas from Sharon too, maybe a layer of refrieds and an guacamole topping. We're going to be having a cold rainy weekend (so what else is new, there was hail last week) and it will be a good time to use the oven.
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life