Last Of The Rhubarb??
  Re: (...)
I hate to see the end, I've really had fun with new recipes this year - 'course it helps that Kemp's patch is too large for him to use it all! Day before yesterday, he brought over a huge bunch.

Finally got to try the Rhubarb compote Sharon posted a while back - if you haven't tried this, you might want to give it a try, it's delicious!! I did a double batch and got four 1/2 pints out of it.

Here's the recipe so you don't have to do a search -

Rhubarb, Bacon & Onion Compote - Sharon

"Sharon got from Plate magazine."
Chef-Owner Tony Miller
L'Etoile, Madison, Wisconsin

8 to 10 servings

1/4 lb bacon sliced
1 sweet onion thinly sliced
2 red rhubarb stalks
3 TBS apple cider vinegar
1/2 c. light brown sugar
dash ground cinnamon
dash ground cardamom

Heat a large skillet or frying pan over med.-high heat. Cut bacon into 1/8" by 1/4" pieces. Add to pan and cook until brown.

Add onion and stir, picking up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Lower heat and cook until soft and slight caramelized.

Wash rhubarb and dice into small pieces. Add rhubarb to pan.

Add vinegar, sugar and spices and cook until rhubarb is soft. Adjust sugar if needed based on tartness of rhubarb.

Remove compote from pan and chill. When ready to serve add fresh chopped herbs and stir.

For service

1 tsp.Chives & parsley - fresh chopped
Whole grain bread or nut bread - as needed
Pleasant Ridge Reserve - or other cheddar, as needed
Flat leaf parsley leaves as needed

Remove crust and cut bread into triangles. Place a 1 ounce slice of cheese on top followed by a teaspoon sized dollop of the compote on top. Garnish with a parsley leafe and serve at room temperature.

[Image: lastrhubarb.jpg]

Another new one - Rhubarb Bars - oh my, these are delicous little goodies (having one right now with my coffee!)

Rhubarb Bars
Serving Size : 8

3 cups diced rhubarb
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon grated orange rind (I used cinnamon & cardamom)
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 cups oatmeal
2/3 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar

Mix the diced rhubarb, sugar and orange rind, set aside.

Sift together the flour, salt and soda. Add the oatmeal and mix well to blend.

Cream the butter and brown sugar and add the oatmeal and flour mixture. Put half the mixture in a greased 11 x 7 pan. Place the rhubarb mixture on top and then the rest of crumbs, press down well so the bars won't be too crumbly. Bake at 400F for 35 min.

------

Also made two more batches of the jam with raspberry & jalapeno and black cherry & jalapeno.

Have this waiting to finish today - don't know if Lorraine has posted this one here or not, but it's really good also.

Rhubarb Lemon Ginger Marmalade*****
"Lorraine posted this 6/9/07"

1 pound rhubarb
1 lemon
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger (or more to taste)

Wash rhubarb and cut into thin slices without peeling. Wash lemon and zest it. Add rind to rhubarb with the sugar, mix, and let stand overnight. Add juice of lemon, bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium, cook, stirring often, until thick.

Sterilize jars according to manufacturer's instructions. Fill jars, remove air bubbles, wipr rims clean, seal, and process in hot water bath for 5 minutes.

Makes 3 X 6 oz jars

Lorraine’s notes:
My co-worker does not process them, she adds the hot mixture to the hot jars, seals them, then keeps them in fridge.

Edited to add, I just made a quadruple batch (12 jars), in 2 double batches. The first batch, I followed the directions. The 2nd double batch, I added an extra tbsp of ginger, and reduced the heat to medium / low, as it was wanting to scorch. If you have a good pot (I wish I had a Le Creuset) you'll be ok, otherwise, watch it like a hawk.

----
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com