Dip Suggestions?
  Re: (...)
Hi all - we will be camping again this weekend and I'd like to bring some kind of dip to snack on. We had the standard spinach dip the other day at a party so that's out.

It can be either cold or hot (but I'd do most if not all of the prep Friday morning at home to cut down on washing dishes - we will only have a limited water supply).

Any suggestions? I can't think of any ingredients we don't like. Thank you!
  Re: Dip Suggestions? by Trixxee (Hi all - we will be ...)
I like hummus in the summer with cut up raw veggie sticks. Any kind of hummus, but especially roasted red pepper hummus.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Dip Suggestions? by Mare749 (I like hummus in the...)
Hummus does sound good. Then there's the Plank-Cooked Brie with Peach Chutney. I would think you could make the chutney ahead of time. Everything else could then come off quickly and no clean up afterward! Well, except for your plank! If you don't have the recipe you can find it here: Plank-Cooked Brie with Peach Chutney
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Dip Suggestions? by Gourmet_Mom (Hummus does sound go...)
my 2 cents -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Roasted Peppers with Marinated Feta and Greek Olives

2 roasted red bell peppers
1 pound feta cheese -- cut into cubes
1 cup fresh black Greek olives -- pitted
1 small red onion -- diced (any sweet onion like Vidalia or Maui will also work)
3 cloves minced garlic
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons fresh thyme
salt
freshly ground black pepper
lemon juice

Combine the peppers, feta and olives in a large bowl. Add the olive oil and toss gently. Add the remaining ingredients and toss gently again.

Adjust seasonings, cover and chill at least 5 hours before serving. Serve this with toasted pita bread as an appetizer.

Description:
"This is from Whole Food website - it's great on a hot dog also! Another variation - fill cherry tomatoes with this mixture."

------
or

White Bean and Gorgonzola Topping

1 large clove garlic -- sliced
1 cup white beans -- with liquid
1 tablespoon organic extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon chopped rosemary
1/4 teaspoon crushed red chile flakes
sea salt -- to taste
ground black pepper -- to taste
1/4 cup Gorgonzola -- crumbled

Sauté the garlic in the oil until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Toss in beans and remaining seasonings and coarsely mash. If mixture is too dry, add a bit of stock or water. Remove from heat and add cheese.

Description:
"Use this as a spread atop toasted bread rounds"

-------
or lastly -

Lump Crab Salsa

3 T. chopped cilantro
2 medium shallots -- very finely chopped
1 red bell pepper -- finely diced
1/2 jalapeno -- seeded & finely diced (1/2 to 1)
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
1 garlic clove -- very finely chopped
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 lbs. lump crabmeat -- picked over
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup salted roasted almond -- coarsely chopped
Thick-cup potato chips -- for serving

In a large bowl, combine the cilantro, shallots, bell pepper, jalapeno, lime zest, lime juice, garlic and olive oil.

Fold in the crab and season with salt & pepper. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Let the salsa come to room temperature, then fold in the almonds.
Serve with potato chips.
Make ahead: The crab salsa can be refrigerated for up to 4 hours. Fold in the almonds just before servings.

Description:
"Made this the frist time when Don was here with the Burrs. This is a nice recipe to get away from mayo based dips - the crab shines thru!!!"

----

and camping trips I do love to just have cream cheese with goodies to spread over the top - chutneys, jalapeno/fruit jellies, tapenades or the old, old standby - salad shrimp mixed with cocktail sauce over cream cheese.

Have fun on your trip!

OH and don't forget wraps - they can be done at home and last the whole weekend!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com