Duck with Honey Review
  Re: (...)
Still working on cleaning out the freezer so yesterday, I made this duck - oh my....

Duck with Honey (CANARD AU MIEL)
Bon Appétit | May 1999 Serves 4.

4 teaspoons (packed) fresh lavender blossoms or 2 teaspoons dried (or use something like Herbes de Provence)
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 6- to 6 1/2-pound duck, fresh or frozen, thawed
1 cup canned low-salt chicken broth
3 tablespoons dry red wine
4 tablespoons lavender honey or orange flower honey
------
4 toasted baguette slices

Preheat oven to 350°F. Finely grind 2 teaspoons fresh or 1 teaspoon dried lavender blossoms, thyme, sea salt and peppercorns in spice grinder or with mortar and pestle. Remove fat deposits and giblets from duck cavity, reserving liver. Trim excess skin and fat from neck area. Rinse inside and out; pat dry. Cutting through skin and fat (but not flesh) of duck breasts, score in crisscross pattern. Rub inside and outside of duck with herb mixture; return duck liver to cavity.
Place duck, breast up, on rack in roasting pan.

Roast 2 hours. Remove from oven. Increase oven temperature to 375°F. Transfer duck to plate. Pour pan juices into 4-cup glass measuring cup; spoon off fat. Return juices and 1 tablespoon fat to pan. Add broth and wine. Return duck to pan. Brush with 2 tablespoons honey.
Roast duck 20 minutes, basting once with pan juices.

Brush with 2 tablespoons honey; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried lavender. Roast duck until deep golden and thermometer inserted into innermost part of thigh registers 180°F., about 5 minutes longer.

Transfer duck to a platter.

Remove liver; mash finely in small bowl. Spread liver over baguette slices. Add 1 teaspoon fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried lavender to roasting pan. Place over medium heat. Boil juices until thick enough to coat spoon, whisking often, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl. Slice duck and serve with baguette slices and pan juices.

-------

This is such a wonderful dish - I cooked it in the a.m. and we just picked at it when it was done. The liver on the toast with the duck slice was just wonderful!!!

There are some leftovers, so maybe we'll have a weekday brunch of duck hash
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Duck with Honey Review by cjs (Still working on cle...)
This sounds great! His lavaeder is doing great, so I can tell ( OK, maybe ask) him to pick the blossoms and dry them.

I didn't see whole ducks in the groceries stores there, we have have easy access to duck breasts. I think it can be adapted, yes/ no / maybe? OTOH, they do whole whole pheasants.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Duck with Honey Review by Lorraine (This sounds great! ...)
Oh sure - adapt. Pheasant would be good too - man, haven't had pheasant since before the kids were born, I think. Crap, that's almost a half a century, huh, Trace!!!

Lorraine, for leftovers, I make this plum dressing that is so very good - don't know if I've posted/given it to you or anyone.

Plum Dressing

1 cup canned plums in syrup, pitted
1 T. honey
1 tsp. worcestershire sauce
1 T. dark soy sauce
1/2 tsp. tabasco

Place the plums and their syrup, honey, worcestershire, soy and tabasco sauces in a small saucepan.
Bring to a boil over medium heat and simmer for 5 min, then remove from the heat and allow to cool.

Once cool, put the plum mixture with all the liquid into a blender or food processor and process till ompletely smooth. Check seasoning, add s&p as needed.

I love this dressing with meat salads.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Duck with Honey Review by cjs (Oh sure - adapt. Phe...)
Half a century??? Time to buy one! There's also a local lady to raises rabbits, and sells them at the Farmer's Market. I'm printing this whole thread. Thanks!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Duck with Honey Review by Lorraine (Half a century??? T...)
Sounds yummy. I will have to make this for my Mother's husband as he is living his last days to the fullest and loves duck and liver pate. I would think this would be one he's love.

Thanks for sharing!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)