Pita Bread
  Re: (...)
I know I made these years ago, but then my life was so hectic, I don't even remember them.

Made a batch this morning - just came out of the oven and oh my are they delicius and all eight 'pocketed' The recipe said not to drive yourself crazy if some don't puff, just use them for pita chips. Sure didn't take long either.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Pita Bread by cjs (I know I made these ...)
I remember someone posted a really cool site that made them sound really easy. The gal made a project of it. I'll have to look that up. I bet that would be fun to make on a Sunday afternoon to have to use with leftovers for school lunches.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pita Bread by Gourmet_Mom (I remember someone p...)
shoot, I didn't get the link, but I thinks it's the same one. "Farmgirl's Pita Bread after Bernard Clayton"

Well, I just looked for it and found same title, but a different pita recipe - this one used whole wheat flour, which I wanted in the beginning, so here this one -

Farmgirl's Pita Bread After Bernard Clayton

1 cup whole wheat flour
1.5 cup white flour
1.5 tsp salt
1Tbsp white sugar
2 tsp dry active yeast
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup water warmed to 105-110 F

Preheat oven to 500 F
1. Blend 1 cup of the flour with the rest of the dry ingredients

2. Add water, then olive oil and mix thoroughly

3. Add the rest of the flour 1/2 cup at a time kneading by hand by the end until all flour is worked through (about 5 mins kneading)

4. Divide dough into 8 equal parts and shape like a bun

5. Cover dough with a tea towel and let "rest" for approx 20-30 min depending on how warm your room is. (Warmer rooms need less time)

6. Roll each pita to 3/16" thick and place on individual squares of tin foil

7. Place 4 at a time right on the oven rack and bake for 5-7 minutes

8. When removing from the oven, stack them directly toogether immediately while hot so they stay soft, and cool stacked and wrapped in foil.

Note: Some may not puff, but YUM... eat them while hot or use them as crusts for quick mini pizzas or brush with olive oil and garlic and re-bake to make pita chips

Number of Servings: 8

-----
if anyone wants the white bread one,

she just calls for 2 1/2 cups bread flour instead of any w.w. and 2 tsp. of salt instead of 1.5 tsp.

Sure is good - and pretty
[Image: pita.jpg]

and tasty - this is the red pepper mayo that goes with the pita chips and the zucchini soup tonight. (soup's good too!)
[Image: pitaanddip.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pita Bread by cjs (shoot, I didn't get ...)
I love homemade pita. I used to make it for the kids too, and they loved it. I may have to try the whole wheat recipe - it's right up our alley.

Oh, Jean (hollered with a sweetly musical note ) is there a recipe for that red pepper mayo???? It sure looks good.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Pita Bread by Harborwitch (I love homemade pita...)
Oh my goodness. I WILL be checking Lowes tomorrow for that book! And your pitas look beautiful! You know, if I'm gonna heat up the kitchen next week to experiment with grains, I might as well throw in some of these babies. I've got all the ingredients.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pita Bread by Gourmet_Mom (Oh my goodness. I W...)
Red Pepper Mayo
makes 3/4 cup

1 jar roasted red bell peppers, drained (7 oz.)
1/2 slice bread
1 T. mayonnaise
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove
Salt & pepper to taste
Pita chips

Puree all ingred. (except pita chips) in a food processor or blender until smooth.
Serve with chips.
www.achefsjourney.com