Organizing Personal Favorites
  Re: (...)
I just finished a calming project. Since I don't have a laptop...YET...and my OLD PDA no longer works, I have to print my recipes to use in the kitchen. When I find that I like it, I put it in a notebook in a plastic sleeve. These have been accumulating over the past year and were in there at random. Earlier this year, I attempted to organize them, but could not decide how. Yesterday, when I went to look for one, I couldn't find it...of course...so I printed another. I've done this several times. I came to the conclusion that I would be better off alphabetizing them for easy retrieval when I KNOW I have a printed copy of a particular recipe.

I know this method has it's problems, like how to add new ones. But I'll just add a new sleeve and hope that another recipe will go on the back someday. It may not be the most economical method, but the only thing that makes since at this time. I couldn't go by ingredient, due to so much overlap. And part of the meal didn't work either. For example Sesame Chicken is very much an appy, but we will often use it as a main.

So how do you guys organize your favorites?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Organizing Personal Favorites by Gourmet_Mom (I just finished a ca...)
Folders, shoeboxes, kitchen drawers. I can never find anything. The Chicken Roulade one has been printed out at least 10 times. No point doing anything until I move, then it will be in Mastercook.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Organizing Personal Favorites by Lorraine (Folders, shoeboxes, ...)
You know, I'm hoping to have that laptop to take to the kitchen by the time my new system becomes a REAL problem. And thanks for reminding me. I'm WAY overdue reorganizing my MC files. GEEZ!
Daphne
Well, right now I have them in file folders labeled by: appetizers, meat fish poultry, desserts, breads, breakfast, cookies, etc. I also have a cookbook stand on the kitchen counter where I "pile" them vertically until I get so many I have to pile them somewhere else until I get motivated to file them.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Organizing Personal Favorites by Lorraine (Folders, shoeboxes, ...)
Get Mastercook!

I print recipes out of my MC when I'm making them, then I throw the paper away after I'm done. If I've made notes for changes, I'll put it by my computer to enter... sometimes the notes get lost or buried and never entered, but I mean well. For recipes not in MC, I have a basket that I put the recipes in and I look through it from time-to-time. If I make something and like it, it moves to a recipe binder book with the sleeves.

Somehow I take comfort in having the original clipping, handwritten card, or whatever. It must be a mind-memory thing for me.

An aside, I have my cookbook bookshelf near the kitchen table. My book placement method has baffled Hubby forever. Makes perfect sense to me...
We generally do ours in a spiral notebook according to categories - fish, chicken, soup, etc. We have a separate notebook that Mister uses for his brines, marinades, rubs, chili, ribs, etc. We also have a bookshelf in the kitchen with cookbooks that are general like Southern Living, Betty Crocker (the old one), Paula Deen, some paella ones, and some that are from local churches. We were doing the same thing of having to find the recipe, print out yet another one, and then who knows where the heck it went -
  Re: Re: Organizing Personal Favorites by HomeCulinarian (Get Mastercook![br][...)
Oh, I have MC. I just can't access it from the kitchen...yet. It's the favorites that I've printed out and saved for future use, that I have a problem with. When I can't find a favorite in the notebook quickly, I go print another copy. This is the part I need to fix. I HATE killing trees unnecessarily. Although, if I print it and don't like it, I make not of the problems with the recipe in MC and toss the original. With an anniversary, longevity check, and Christmas coming, I'm hoping to get that laptop and digital pen soon! When that happens, I'll go back to paperless!

As for saving originals, I don't have a problem. Mom says one day I'll regret relying on my computer, but when I find a recipe, I type it into MC and toss the original. In this day and time, if I include the source of the recipe, I should be able to access the original if need be. Of course, if I ever have to make an emergency exit from my house, my backup files and family photos will be first in the car after the dog! That reminds me....time to back up, too!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Organizing Personal Favorites by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, I have MC. I ju...)
In my dream world, I have all the recipes first sorted by winter vs summer. Then within those parameters, chicken, beef, rice, etc. It was to be a chore for this summer....school starts in 12 days and I haven't even begun. The reality of the situation is that the recipes are everywhere and I foolishly rely on my memory to know where to look. This might explain why I seem to post the most "looking for a recipe" threads! I need a personal assisstant!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Organizing Personal Favorites by chef_Tab (In my dream world, I...)
Quote:

I need a personal assisstant!

Now that's the best idea yet! In the perfect world, he/she'd do housework, too!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Organizing Personal Favorites by Gourmet_Mom ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
Yes, he would and he would look like Tom Selleck too!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!