Bread and Wine
  Re: (...)
Last night, I was cruising the channels and found Mario on a Martha Stewart show. I stopped to watch. He was making focaccia using white wine in the recipe. Looking at his recipes on the Fine Living Network, I have found another for flatbreads. Has anyone ever tried this? I'm curious if it would make a difference. The dough he made last night was a very pretty, smooth dough. I've been meaning to make some dough for the freezer, and there IS some wine in the fridge....I may have to make some appys to go with dinner.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Bread and Wine by Gourmet_Mom (Last night, I was cr...)
"I may have to make some appys to go with dinner." - and to go with the olive oi/canola!!

I have not used white wine in my focaccia, but sounds like something to play with. I finally have a 'go to' last minute focaccia recipe that I may have to try this. I'm assuming he (Mario) subbed the wine for the water - totally?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bread and Wine by cjs ("I may have to make ...)
"I finally have a 'go to' last minute focaccia recipe that I may have to try this." Is this your pizza dough recipe?

"I'm assuming he (Mario) subbed the wine for the water - totally?" No, but something to play with. The Flat Bread has 2/3 cup...but here's the pizza dough. I already have it copied to play with. BTW, there's some really good stuff on the network site for Mario, Emeril, and Puck.

Mario Batali's Pizza Dough
This wonderful recipe for pizza dough should be used in Mario Batali's Focaccina with Roasted Garlic, Scallions, and Provolone recipe.
Yields 1 3/4 pounds of dough

3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
2 teaspoons instant or rapid-rise yeast
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup dry white wine, at room temperature
2 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil

In a large bowl, combine flour, yeast, salt, and sugar; mix until well combined.

Make a well in the center and add water, wine, and olive oil. Using a wooden spoon, stir liquid into the dry ingredients until mixture becomes too stiff to stir.

Continue mixing with your hands until the dough comes together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.

Lightly dust work surface with flour. Turn dough out onto work surface. Gently knead, dusting work surface with more flour as necessary, until dough is smooth, elastic, and only slightly sticky, about 5 minutes.

Oil a large clean bowl; add dough and turn to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel; set in a warm part of the kitchen and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Punch down dough before using.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Bread and Wine by Gourmet_Mom ("I finally have a 'g...)
no, not my pizza dough recipe - it's one I've been working with and we really like it - we use it more for sandwiches than eating as just a bread. Holds up well with just about any filling.

Focaccia
a Chef’s Journey

1 T. Granulated sugar
1 T. Active dry yeast
12 oz. Water,lukewarm
14 oz. All-purpose flour
4 oz. whole wheat flour
2 tsp. Kosher salt
1 tsp. garlic powder (or add some minced garlic)
1 tsp. onion powder (or add some minced onion)
1 T. Olive oil
-----
Misc. Toppings
Fresh rosemary -- crushed
Freshly ground black pepper
Kosher salt
Pecans & Parmesan cheese
Bleu cheese & walnuts
Sun-dried tomatoes, capers, oregano
Yellow or red bell pepper strips, fresh tomatoes, basil, salt

Combine the sugar, yeast and water. Stir to dissolve the yeast. Stir in the flours 4 ounces (~3/4 cup) at a time.

Stir in 1-1/2 teaspoons (7 milliliters) of the salt and the onion & garlic. Mix well, then knead on a lightly floured board or in a mixer with dough hook until smooth.

Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover and ferment until doubled, 30-40 min.

Punch down the dough, then flatten it onto an oiled half-sheet pan (12X18”). It should be no more than 1 inch thick. Brush the top of the dough with the olive oil. Let the dough proof until doubled, approximately 15 minutes.

Sprinkle whichever toppings you choose on top of the dough. Bake at 400°F (200°C) until lightly browned, approximately 20 minutes.

------
hmmm, think I'll add some white wine to my dough.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bread and Wine by cjs (no, not my pizza dou...)
Oh, okay. I've got my wine "warming" as we speak! And yup...there's olive oil and canola waiting in the wings. I guess it's ribs tonight, 'cause today just turned into a bread day...LOL! At least it's the coolest day we've had lately...only 82 degrees.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Bread and Wine by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, okay. I've got ...)
YUM! I used your recipe and subbed 25% of the water with wine. It was still cool, so I just added it to the warm water. It's really GOOD!

OKAY, so I CAN'T make an honest comparison, but it's still good. I did the ultimate NO NO and used a new recipe AND tested a modification. I'll make more this weekend using my recipe with the wine. This batch is not going to stick around very long! After that batch, I want to play around with more wine. I think it could take at least half and half. OH, and the oil mix is great. You still get the fruity flavor, but less "bite".
Daphne
  Re: Re: Bread and Wine by Gourmet_Mom (YUM! I used your re...)
sounds like a winner dinner.
www.achefsjourney.com