Tortilla Press
  Re: (...)
didn't we have a discussion about making tortillas and someone had a really clever way to press them - other than a mfg. tortilla press??????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tortilla Press by cjs (didn't we have a dis...)
Locally, they just do it by hand - sometimes on a counter top between two pieces cut out from plastic grocery bags.

Personally, I tried one of the presses, and the handle on it broke after only a couple of uses. In addition, I really do think it is easier to do them by hand.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Tortilla Press by labradors (Locally, they just d...)
hmmm, I shall try that then. I was sure someone had posted something...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tortilla Press by cjs (hmmm, I shall try th...)
I wonder.....what if you were to take a ball of dough, flatten it out with your hands, then put it through a pasta roller? Would that work?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tortilla Press by Mare749 (I wonder.....what if...)
Jean, I don't even know what a tortilla press is, so I'm not sure what you are asking. I DO know that the times I've had the time to make my own, I used the following. I was very excited about the many flavors I could achieve. I had fun with this one for weeks. I made so many summer wraps using these last year....YUM!

Now to your question...after all this time, I didn't know I needed a press to make them. Mine were fine following the recipe below. So could you explain the point of the press?

This is how I did it(I'll post the website as soon as I find it...lol!:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Flour Tortillas (Sun-Dried Tomato, Red Bell Pepper, Garlic

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sides and Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder -- or less than 1 teaspoon for thinner tortillas
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup lard -- between 3 Tablespoons to 1/2 a cup
3/4 cup hot water

Combine the flour, baking powder,salt, and optional dried pasta sauce mix. Either by hand or with a pastry cutter, cut in the shortening till the mixture is crumbly. If the mixture looks more floury than crumbly, be sure to add just one or two more tablespoons of shortening till it is crumbly. Add about 3/4 cup hot water to the mixture, or just enough to make the ingredients look moist.

With your hand or a large fork, knead the mixture making sure to rub the dough against the sides of the large mixing bowl to gather any clinging dough. If the dough still sticks to the side of the bowl, add a couple more tablespoons of flour until the dough forms a soft round shape. The dough is ready to roll out now, but it is best to let it rest. Cover it with a dish towel, and let it sit for about an hour or so.

Take the dough, and pull it apart into 10 to 12 balls. Lightly flour your rolling area, and roll each ball with a rolling pin to about 1/8 inch thickness.

Place each tortilla on a medium hot cast iron skillet. Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until the tortilla does not look doughy.

Description:
"Homemade Tortillas are so good! There is nothing like a homemade tortilla right off the stove. Use it as a wrap instead of bread for your favorite sandwich."
S(Internet Address):

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 153 Calories; 5g Fat (27.4% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4mg Cholesterol; 438mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Notes from the author: You can make them by hand or use your bread machine (both follow). Also you can use anywhere from 3 Tablespoons of shortening or lard to the 1/2 cup. I only used a 1/4 cup and they were wonderful. Flavored tortillas are made using dried pasta sauce mixes, such as Knorr brand. You can use any of the following: Red Bell Pepper Pesto, or Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto, or Garlic & Herb, or Parma Rosa Pasta Mix, Carbonara ,or Four Cheese. Cooking time is rising time.
My Notes: I used a rolling pin and flavored the flour with wilted spinach, garlic, and onion in a blender with enough water to make a paste. I feel certain that fresh pestos of many flavors could be used in the same way. Just be sure the pesto is fairly thick and adjust hot water to get the right texture to your dough. It should be smooth but not tacky.

Here's the site...OOOPS! I forgot and posted from somewhere else...SORRY!

Flavored Flour Tortillias

Since I KNOW you have GOT to have your own recipe, I'm curious about this kitchen tool that I may or may not need.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Tortilla Press by cjs (didn't we have a dis...)
Quote:

didn't we have a discussion about making tortillas and someone had a really clever way to press them - other than a mfg. tortilla press??????

Aside from the heat--I love Texas--most of our Mexican and TexMex resteraunts make their own tortillas and even chips --you can also take out!I never plan to make a tortilla!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Tortilla Press by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I was thinking the same thing as Bill. We have such good Mexican restaurants here that I never make Mexican food. It's just something we "go out" for.

But, Daphne's recipe got me thinking about what good sandwiches homemade tortillas would make. Think I'll be trying them after all.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tortilla Press by Mare749 (I was thinking the s...)
Daphne, you're right, you don't need a press - I was just sure I'd seen a post (and it might have been another site...is there another one?? ) about it. When you use a press, you make a small ball out of the dough and put in on the press bottom, bring the top down and press.

I've made flour and corn over the years - I just happen to have a bag of masa hanging around I thought I'd play with again.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tortilla Press by cjs (Daphne, you're right...)
I think we had that discussion. But you put the little ball of dough in ziplock bag that's been slit open on both sides. I've gotten so used to my press that I can make the wrappers for the chive dumplings in it as well as tortillas. But the plastic bag is imperative. Otherwise it's a big nasty mess.

I also learned that you have to knead the dough pretty good before you start pressing your tortillas - for corn tortillas!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!