One/Two and zero!
  Re: (...)
My Iowa State University Cyclones kicked off their football season last night and we rolled into our parking space as the FIRST non-RV just before one in the afternoon to set up our stuff and fire the grills. We caught the attention of BOTH the pork producers and cattleman's association and were featured between the third and fourth quarters on the big score board screen for our "Soul Food" Pork Loin Ends and Cajun Mushroom Potter House Steaks with local Iowa Sweet Corn from my neighbors fields as was the pork and steaks. I not only got my 2008 t-shirts (Tailgating ISU Style 2008 and 2008 Jack Trice Stadium Tailgating Team) but we were actually INTERVIEWED on video for it as well!!! Me talking to the interviewer and all of us eating away and drinking away all while the cameras rolled. Kind of surprised us seeing ourselves up on the big board like that!

Next Saturday we are doing my award winning Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches and Philly Style Steak and Cheese Sandwiches and the media guys have promised to come back yet again...then again the pork guys know what I am making from the 2007 Iowa Pork Producers Best Breaded Pork Tenderloin Competition that I won when we still had the restaurant open...I am thinking we will start at two and zero on the pork end and will give everyone else a run for the money on the beef side of things as we tailgate before hosting Kent State. We will really get it going in a few weeks when we start doing breakfast and lunch before afternoon games!!! Can't wait for "before and after" omelets!!!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: One/Two and zero! by firechef (My Iowa State Univer...)
LJ. Wow! What a great time. The football and the food and the recognition!! Way to go. Send some of that tailgating food my way!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: One/Two and zero! by esgunn (LJ. Wow! What a gr...)
I still think you need to do the BBQ competition at the American Royal in KC, so I can taste some of this stuff! It is coming up soon.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: One/Two and zero! by firechef (My Iowa State Univer...)
Oh how fun! Congratulations on being on the big board!!!

Now we can all say "I knew him when!"
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: One/Two and zero! by Harborwitch (Oh how fun! Congrat...)
What a day!!! I really need to get to a game like this one day so I can get a better idea of what you're talking about. I know, I live a deprived life.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: One/Two and zero! by Gourmet_Mom (What a day!!! I rea...)
Sure Sharon you can say "Hey we know the 300 pound drunk guy on the big screen wearing a great big Bozo the Clown style sun glasses, cardinal and gold bib overalls with matching Chef's toque and a Cyclones apron spilling his beer down the front of him as he says how great it is to kick off the season and being back at Jack Trice"...that's a claim to fame I'd sure want if I wasn't the guy himself!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: One/Two and zero! by firechef (Sure Sharon you can ...)
sounds like fun was had by all!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: One/Two and zero! by firechef (Sure Sharon you can ...)
Spew!!!! I wish I was closer - I'd put on my bright red lobster hat and come play with you. I love playing like that!! And I've been known to make an person of myself in front of a $hit load of people! What fun!
  Re: Re: One/Two and zero! by Harborwitch (Spew!!!! I wish I w...)
We have had visiting fans stop and ask if they can take pictures with us to take back home! Last year a bunch of University of Oklahoma fans stopped and took tons of pictures. Texas fans were great too...next week I have to be somewhat "sensitive" to the visiting team as it is Kent State after all. Don't want to risk any trouble so I am looking into Cardinal and gold army fatigues...might make some alumni a bit nervous given the school's history and all!

The best part is that the two of us "ring leaders" of our tailgating group and most of our guests are not even Iowa State Alums...he went to Concordia in Nebraska and I went to NECI and Atlantic Culinary not the best football schools...
  Re: Re: One/Two and zero! by firechef (We have had visiting...)
I can just see you in class tossing tourneed (sp??) zucchini and carrots trying to get the spiral just right!