*****-A-Leekie Soup
  Re: (...)
My husband found this recipe on a Scottish recipe forum. I haven't made it yet, but the recipe title sure caught my eye! Just had to share it with you all, if for nothing else, giggles and grins!

*****-A-Leekie Soup
Recipe courtesy of Julia

3 pound boiling chicken (remove giblets)
3 slices streaky bacon
1 pound flank beef
2 pound leeks
1 large onion
1 teaspoon brown sugar
5 oz Scotch Whisky
2 cups light cream
8 cups of water -- or -- 4 each of water & chicken broth
3/4 cup pearl barley
1/2 cup celery
1/2 cup carrot, medium chopped
4 cloves
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
8-10 pre-soaked prunes
Salt & Pepper to taste

Mix whisky, tarragon and sugar in the water/broth mix to make a marinade. Chop bacon and place with chicken and beef in a large bowl. Pour the whisky marinade over. Leave to soak overnight. Place the chicken, etc. in large soup pot. Chop the leeks, (reserving one leek), onion, celery and carrot & add to pot. Add barley, salt and pepper. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 2 hours, removing any scum as required. Remove chicken & beef from pot, remove skin and bones. Cut up. Add the cream, prunes and the last chopped leek. Simmer for 10-20 minutes, then serve.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Cock-A-Leekie Soup by chef_Tab (My husband found thi...)
I was intrigued up to the prunes...then ya' lost me!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cock-A-Leekie Soup by Gourmet_Mom (I was intrigued up t...)
But Daphne, they are so good for you! Especially after 50, haha. I am thinking the scotch whisky needs to be increased! I just could not resist something so fun to say. I almost feel naughty!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Cock-A-Leekie Soup by chef_Tab (But Daphne, they are...)
Theresa,maybe adding more Scotch whisky would make it easier to say *****-A-Leekie Soup without the laughter (or NOT) - hey, the more prunes, the merrier - but it surely sounds funny to me - it seems I read a Catherine Cookson novel before white bread/telephone wires,/etc - that had a recipe for this soup and I don't remember the prunes - I know I would have remembered them since I did not like prunes at that EARLY age so I would have stopped reading the book and I did not - Oh, wait, I might have had some wine for lunch today as well - what time was lunch??????????????
  Re: Re: Cock-A-Leekie Soup by chef_Tab (But Daphne, they are...)
Ok I need to find Pearl Barley I'm gonna do this
  Re: Re: Cock-A-Leekie Soup by DFen911 (Ok I need to find Pe...)
This is Scotlands answer to "Cooter's Stew" --It took forever to find that recipe--I so love and respect Scotland and its St Andrews Cross. An undefeated people.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Cock-A-Leekie Soup by Old Bay (This is Scotlands an...)
I love this soup, but haven't made it in years. I've never made it with prunes. But, The Silver Palate has a recipe for chicken with prunes that is great. Maybe it was originally made with an old rooster and leeks, hence the name. Thanks for the reminder!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Cock-A-Leekie Soup by Lorraine (I love this soup, bu...)
There's a little restaurant here called Rutabagorz that has this on their menu and it's luscious. Never detected or saw any prunes though.
  Re: Re: Cock-A-Leekie Soup by Trixxee (There's a little res...)
"I might have had some wine for lunch today as well - what time was lunch?????????????? " were you with us???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cock-A-Leekie Soup by cjs ("I might have had so...)
Quote:

"I might have had some wine for lunch today as well - what time was lunch?????????????? " were you with us???

We're having a wonderful morning--packing for Alaska and drinking bloody bulls--maybe a little wine with brunch---then a nap.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".