Cilantro Scampi with Cheddar Biscuits Review
  Re: (...)
Someone might have reviewed this before, I couldn't remember. Issue 56 p36,37
This was pretty good and quite simple. It worked reallly well for us, most of it was prepped before the martinis. The biscuits were a tad bland. The shrimp was good and spicy tho'. This made a very light supper imho, if we hadn't rounded it out with Crab Louis Cucumber Cups (these were awesome) and another appy, it wouldn't have filled us up. The other appy was a fun one. A take off of a C@H one. I cut up some tortillas into triangles, spray both sides with PAMstuff and place in a mini muffin pan. Push them in so they make like a 3 sided basket. Bake at 450 for @ 8min. Brown some chorizo and drain. Assemble: add 1/4t chorizo, pinch of Mex cheese and a bit of diced tomato. Looks really cute.
Crab Louis appy found in Issue 60 p42 and the spin off of the Mex tortilla baskets is on pg 43.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Cilantro Scampi with Cheddar Biscuits Review by farnfam (Someone might have r...)
Sounds really good, Cis. Did you use the full 2T. chipotles? I'm finding we really like (when it calls for 2 T.) using 1 T. - it just seems to overpower everything else.

Those triangles sound good too! Don't have issue #60 (still lost ) oh well -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cilantro Scampi with Cheddar Biscuits Review by cjs (Sounds really good, ...)
I agree Jean, we only used 1T and it was almost too much, but still good. Those triangle thingys were called Chipotle Chicken Tostadas, you could look them up on Member's Plus. I used chorizo, cheese and a tomato bit for mine. That was quicker than their recipe's filling. But theirs did sound good, I'll have to try that soon too.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Cilantro Scampi with Cheddar Biscuits Review by farnfam (I agree Jean, we onl...)
I just started getting C@H this year. The cilantro scampi sounds so good, would someone mind posting that please?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Cilantro Scampi with Cheddar Biscuits Review by chef_Tab (I just started getti...)
Makes: 1 lb. Shrimp and 10 Biscuits Total Time: 45 Minutes Rating: Easy

For the Biscuits—
Mix Together:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 T. baking powder
1 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. cream of tartar

Cut in:
6 T. unsalted butter, cold, cubed
1 cup sharp Cheddar, shredded

Combine:
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg, beaten
Flour mixture

For the Scampi—
Heat 2 T. Olive Oil and Saute:
1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined; dusted with flour
1 T. garlic, minced

Deglaze with; Stir in:
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 T. unsalted butter
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 T. chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped
Salt to taste

Garnish with:
4 lime wedges
Sprigs of fresh cilantro

Preheat oven to 450°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or coat lightly with nonstick spray.

Mix together the dry ingredients for the biscuits.

Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until it’s the size of peas. Stir in the cheese.

Combine buttermilk and egg, then stir into the flour mixture just until incorporated. Portion batter with an ice cream scoop or a 1/4-cup measure onto the prepared baking sheet. They suggest you keep dipping the scoop in flour as batter is sticky. Bake for 15 minutes, or until tops begin to brown. While biscuits bake, prepare scampi.

Heat oil in a large saute pan coated with nonstick spray over medium-high. Add shrimp and saute 2 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Deglaze with wine, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Stir in butter until melted. Combine cilantro, lime juice, and chiles in a large bowl. Add shrimp to cilantro mixture and toss to coat; season with salt. When ready to serve, spoon shrimp and sauce over the biscuits.

Garnish each serving with a lime wedge and cilantro sprigs.
Hope you enjoy it, my note: use Mex cheese and a bit of garlic pwdr to jazz up biscuits
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Cilantro Scampi with Cheddar Biscuits Review by farnfam (Makes: 1 lb. Shrimp ...)
Cis, thanks so much! Do you think this would work on pasta instead of biscuits? Did you leave the tails on the shrimp when you made this? It sounds great.
Theresa

Re: Re: Cilantro Scampi with Cheddar Biscuits Review by chef_Tab (Cis, thanks so much!...)
Theresa, I bet it would be better on pasta. The biscuits were just so/so. Maybe a spinach fettucine for color.
Took the tails off. Let us know how it turns out for you, I love variation
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Cilantro Scampi with Cheddar Biscuits Review by farnfam (Theresa, I bet it w...)
Wow, I made this for dinner tonight and served it on pasta. It was fabulous and I wish I had remembered Cis' advice to use spinach fettucine, that is the only improvement I could have possibly made. I am glad I heeded the warning to use only 1T of the chipotles. Hubby would have eaten it with 2T, but I would not have been able to enjoy it as well. It was perfect.

Question: what to do with the left over chipotles in the adobo? I have never used this before, so my guess is it will be a while before I use it all. Cis, Jean, anyone?????
Theresa

Re: Re: Cilantro Scampi with Cheddar Biscuits Review by chef_Tab (Wow, I made this for...)
Theresa - I just put them in a ziploc or small gladware thing and freeze them. They freeze perfectly well. They also seem to keep in the fridge for at least 10 days before I'd consider tossing them.

They are great added to sour cream to make a chipotle sour cream topping for any type of taco, especially fish. Always have them in the cupboard or freezer.
  Re: Re: Cilantro Scampi with Cheddar Biscuits Review by Trixxee (Theresa - I just pu...)
Oh, and how could I forget! You could use them for one of the most beloved recipes on this site - the filet mignon with chipotle mashed potatoes and spinach. Awesome meal.