Mini Tapenade & Manchego Sandwiches
  Re: (...)
I had the most wonderful weekend!!! My oldest friend in the whole world, we met in the 4th grade (1950!!!!! ), came for the weekend. Our 50th high school reunion is next weekend, which I won't be going to (Bill & Jane and Billy J will be here) so she came a little early from Hawaii to visit. All these years and we just seem to pick up where we left off the last time we were together.

Anyway, this is one of the appys we enjoyed - the tapenade recipe is from Chef June Jacob's book, hopefully she won't mind my posting the recipe here.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mini Tapenade and Manchego Sandwiches

1/3 cup Mixed Olive Tapenade
1 sweet baguette -- sliced in half horizontally
4 ounces aged Manchego cheese -- shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 ounce arugula leaves (about 1 1/2 packed cups)

1. Heat the broiler to high and arrange a rack in the middle.

2. Evenly spread tapenade on cut sides of baguette halves. Evenly sprinkle cheese over tapenade.

3. Place baguette halves on a baking sheet cut sides up, and broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the edges of the bread are toasted, about 2 minutes. Top with arugula, close sandwich, and cut into 24 pieces.

By Aïda Mollenkamp
Bites of toasted baguette with melty sheep's-milk cheese, briny tapenade, and peppery arugula, these mini sandwiches are easy to assemble yet elegant enough to serve at your next cocktail party.

Game plan: If you plan on serving these at a party, there's lots you can do in advance to make things easier. Mix up (or buy) the tapenade, shred the cheese, and wash the arugula leaves (then store them in the refrigerator wrapped in damp paper towels placed in a resealable plastic bag) up to 3 days in advance, then assemble and broil the sandwich at the last minute.

----
June's Tapenade
makes about 2 cups

1 lb. large plump ripe olives (I used kalamatas)
2-oz. tin anchovies, perserved in olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, peeled and slighty crushed
3 T. capers preserved in vinegar, well drained
3 T. extra virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Pit the olives and crush. Put in to a food processor, fitted with metal blade.

Add the anchovies with oil, and the garlic, capers, olive oil and a few good turns of the pepper mill.

Pulse with on/off switch to blend the ingredients. Don't over mix - you want a coarse texture.

---

This is a really tasty appy!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Mini Tapenade & Manchego Sandwiches by cjs (I had the most wonde...)
That sounds fabulous! What a great time that must have been!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.