What do you think?
  Re: (...)
I found this Butternut Squash Risotto with Sage and Saffron on Foodgawkers that sounded sooo good. I thought about serving it with the Sausage and Squash Soup tonight, but I don't feel up to making rissoto tonight...tired.

My three ideas for substitution are:
-roast half the squash with salt and fresh sage leaves, then toss with some buttered orzo with fried sage leaves and shaved parm. (I've got to peel the thing anyway to use half for the soup, BUT rissoto nor pasta make a logical side for soup...you think?)
OR
-just make up some more cheesy pizza bread again. (We've had this twice since Saturday, but it would be a more logical side for the soup. I sure wish I had some dough already made up, though.)
OR
-make some cheese toast with some store bought bread that will go bad on the counter since I'm planning on making fresh this weekend. (Again, would make a more logical side for the soup.)

Is it just me, or did I just make up my own mind? Or not?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: What do you think? by Gourmet_Mom (I found this Buttern...)
Option #3 if it was me. Easy. Boom. Done.
  Re: Re: What do you think? by Trixxee (Option #3 if it was ...)
Funny thing, I went in to start the soup and realized I neglected to weigh the squash. I've only got enough for the soup. The longer I stay in there, the more I'm convinced Option #3 it is. It would be okay if I wasn't going to have to clean the mixer after the dough. I'm just gonna have to make MUCH more dough for freezing from now on.
Daphne
  Re: Re: What do you think? by Gourmet_Mom (Funny thing, I went ...)
BTW, I realized I had run out of dried ground sage for the soup a few minutes ago. I have some fresh and I'm attempting to dry some out in the oven, but would I just be better off to sub fresh? It calls for one teaspoon ground...doesn't that equal 1 tablespoon fresh?

Can you tell that school is robbing me of what is left of my brain? Sharon, if I ever find yours, I'm NOT giving it back.
Daphne
  Re: Re: What do you think? by Gourmet_Mom (BTW, I realized I ha...)
For starters I try not to think very much as it hurts the noggin way too much. Hard to believe I graduated with a 3.92 CGPA over the three years I was in high school isn't it???

As for sage...I'd just add it to taste regardless of the recipe as sage is a matter of taste to many people. I take it you went with option #3 from earlier???
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: What do you think? by firechef (For starters I try n...)
YUP! William and the employee thought it was great...LOL! They're easy to please.

I just "sorta" reviewed the soup in the Wednesday night dinner thread, since Jean mentioned it in her post. William RAVED! He never raves! But we all thought it was very good. Andrew didn't get any. He was late for dinner, so I snagged the last of the soup for lunch tomorrow and cleaned up the kitchen. Bad mommy...Bad! Andrew had to settle for Ramein Noodles....LOL! That's what you get when you cruise in at 9:30....Dinner is LONG over! It's not like he was working that late.
Daphne
  Re: Re: What do you think? by Gourmet_Mom (YUP! William and th...)
Since I was locked away in my room and got stale bread scraps I guess I am envious of Andrew and his Ramein noodles...guess that's what happens when you're grounded by "Bad Mommy" after all!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: What do you think? by firechef (Since I was locked a...)
UH, don't I smell tomatoes and sausage on your breath...GET BACK IN YOUR ROOM!
Daphne
  Re: Re: What do you think? by firechef (For starters I try n...)
I graduated from Southwestern University with a 2.75--it denied me entrance to medical school. OK--I'm so much better now--I know --whatever you do--fry the fresh sage leaves until crisp, and put them on whatever you serve as a garnish. Impressive, huh??!!- (Now I sell the doctors their malpractice insurance). Cooking is so much fun!! Life is good. Enjoy, and be well, Bill
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: What do you think? by Old Bay (I graduated from Sou...)
It is so neat to me how many people of various backgrounds love to cook, eat and share about food. I wanted to be a F/A-18 pilot and an astronaut but ended up cooking instead.