Frustrated - What should I make????
  Re: (...)
I am frustrated and a little peeved. I will brief you on the situation.

My SIL and her hubby are coming for dinner. It was going to be Saturday night and they were probably going to be sleeping over. Now she called yesterday to say that Saturday was not a good date, but Friday would be better, but she is working that day and could not come over until she was done around 4:00 (fine), but her hubby is working late because it is the busy season and would not be there 7:00 or maybe later. She would not be sleeping here, but her hubby would.

So my dilema is what to serve to two people who will be here several hours apart?

I suggested Supreme Pizza Soup and Cheese Bread. She is says she is 'souped out' right now and reminds me that her hubby does not eat veggies, spaghetti, or lasagna.

I suggested to do some hot hor dourves. Then she got huffy and said, "Fine! I'll just bring something then!"

So perhaps she is having an off day. My husbands sister(s) are not known for their tack or their subtlety.

So what would you all suggest. I plan to call her Wed or Thurs and tell her what I am preparing for dinner and that she need not bring anything. Of course I will be gracious and nice which will help diffuse her anger.

I hope this all makes some sense to those reading it. I tried to weed out the unimportant details as much as I could.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Frustrated - What should I make???? by luvnit (I am frustrated and ...)
Oh boy! How about pizzas? I divide my pizza dough in 1/4s and they make enough for the two of us plus a salad. Maybe you could have 4 pcs. ready and some toppings and they can make their own?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Frustrated - What should I make???? by cjs (Oh boy! How about pi...)
Laura - you have the patience of Job! I would serve them whatever I felt like making, tending toward something I know they'd enjoy and avoiding things I know they dislike.

If not Jean's pizza idea, what about paninis and some sides?
  Re: Re: Frustrated - What should I make???? by HomeCulinarian (Laura - you have the...)
Or, you could tell her to be sure and bring enough for 4 or however many there will be It sounds like you are just too nice a person even with her being a imposing on you.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Frustrated - What should I make???? by luvnit (I am frustrated and ...)
I think you have every right to be extremely frustrated and beyond peeved! These people sound like crack-heads! My first inclination is to tell them where to go and not let them in your house at all till they learn some manners. But, you are obviously like me and try your best to keep family peace so you let the jerks walk all over you. I would probably make something in the crockpot or some type of casserole. Most likely, it is impossible to please these people any way so you might as well make life as easy on yourself as you can. Good luck and you have my vote into sainthood.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Frustrated - What should I make???? by chef_Tab (I think you have eve...)
All the above suggestions will work nicely, Laura. A nice stew with some homemade bread might be good.
Family can be hard sometimes, I prefer pets and plants
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Frustrated - What should I make???? by farnfam (All the above sugges...)
Quote:

Family can be hard sometimes, I prefer pets and plants
Cis

Nicely said, Cis! I am with you on that one.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Frustrated - What should I make???? by chef_Tab ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Laura, you really are a sweetheart for trying to keep peace in the family! I thought that Cis had a super idea. A big pot of stew and a loaf of homemade bread. The stew could be made ahead of time and kept warm in a crockpot, and the bread could be started the day before. A nice red wine to mellow everyone out a bit, and something chocolate for dessert. Gosh that sounds good!

("Family can be hard sometimes, I prefer pets and plants"
Cis)

That's pretty good, but then who would we talk about???

Maryann
  Re: Re: Frustrated - What should I make???? by Mare749 (Laura, you really ar...)
You're a lot nicer than I am Laura! I'd be getting the lasagna ready!

We got an invite to dinner many many years ago (the ex & I) when we got there we could smell wonderful chicken roasting and had high hopes for dinner. Alas, twas not to be. She cooled the chickens and picked them for the cats and dogs and offered us our choice of Swanson TV dinners (only those with no meat involved!). Last time we ever went there.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Frustrated - What should I make???? by Harborwitch (You're a lot nicer t...)
OMG Sharon! You have got to be kidding! Some people are NUTS!

Laura, I like the stew and bread, etc idea. Or the Panini's if you have a panini press. Some homemade potato salad, cole slaw or a fruit salad, maybe some baked beans and anyone can make theirs as they arrive.

I can tell you my hubby would have a caniption fit with them 'Asking?' you to accomodate their tastes and schedules. If he didn't tell them to forget it, it would be the last time they were invited. I tend to be a little more tollerant - but would probably be peeved the whole time.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.