8-Layer Lasagna (2004 - Issue 43)
  Re: (...)
I went and bought most of the ingredients from this recipe from memory and when I went to look for my issue I cannot find it. I would like to make this on Sunday however I would need a member who has the recipe to post it or email it. Many, Many thanks in advance. This is by far OUR FAVORITE Lasagna recipe!!
  Re: 8-Layer Lasagna (2004 - Issue 43) by tlsullivanct (I went and bought mo...)
Hi, tlsullivanct. I have also made this recipe and thought it was great. There are some recipes for lasagna in earlier issues that are also excellent - yet fussier.

I can post the recipe for you this evening if someone else doesn't come along before then to help you out.
  Re: Re: 8-Layer Lasagna (2004 - Issue 43) by HomeCulinarian (Hi, tlsullivanct. I...)
HI tlsulli, I believe we had a request for this recipe just a little bit ago. Is this the one you mean. We love this one too.
8 Layer Lasagna
For the Meat Sauce —
Brown:
1 1/2 lb. ground chuck
1 1/2 lb. ground mild Italian sausage

Add:
2 cups yellow onion, diced
2 T. garlic, minced
2 T. tomato paste
2 t. each dried basil, thyme, and oregano
1/2 t. red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf

Stir in; Simmer:
1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes in puree
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained
3/4 cup beef broth or water
2 T. balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

For the Béchamel —
Saute in 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter:
1 cup yellow onion, diced
1/8 t. cayenne
Pinch nutmeg

Stir in:
1/3 cup all-purpose flour

Gradually Add:
3 cups whole milk
10 oz. Boursin cheese (or Alouette)
Salt to taste

Whisk in:
8 oz. frozen chopped spinach
1 egg, beaten

To Assemble —
Prepare:
1 lb. oven-ready lasagna sheets, parboiled
1 lb. fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
6 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 400° with rack in the center.

Brown the meats in a large saute pan over medium-high heat; spoon off as much of the fat as possible.

Add onions, garlic, tomato paste, and seasonings. Saute until onion softens, about 8 minutes.

Stir in both types of tomatoes, broth, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Simmer over medium heat until most of the liquid is evaporated, about 10 minutes; set aside.

Saute onion for the béchamel in melted butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, cayenne, and nutmeg; cook until onion softens, about 5 minutes. Stir often to prevent scorching.

Stir in flour to coat; cook 2 minutes.

Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add Boursin in small pieces and whisk until smooth; season with salt. Set aside 1 cup béchamel for the top of the lasagna. Cool remaining sauce for 10 minutes.

Whisk in frozen spinach and egg.

Prepare lasagna sheets; have both cheeses ready. Assemble lasagna, layering béchamel, pasta, béchamel, meat sauce, and then the cheese. Repeat until all pasta is used. Bake uncovered for 40 - 45 minutes, or until bubbly and top is golden. Allow lasagna to rest 20 - 30 minutes before cutting and serving.

Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: 8-Layer Lasagna (2004 - Issue 43) by farnfam (HI tlsulli, I believ...)
That does look good for a lasagna...copied and saved in the notepad for later.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: 8-Layer Lasagna (2004 - Issue 43) by tlsullivanct (I went and bought mo...)
I just made this lasagna this weekend to test for the holidays. My family (about 30) are coming to Tucson for 3 days and I thought lasagna would be good for one of the nights. Wasn't sure about this one because my family seems to like a lot of sauce and not as much pasta. I'm just the opposite. I thought this was great and so did my husband (even tho he's in the lots of sauce category). May seem like a lot of pasta but I think it's the perfect combo. I'm also going to make the chicken alfredo lasagna. Has anyone made that before and if so did you like it?
Shannon
  Re: Re: 8-Layer Lasagna (2004 - Issue 43) by Dismc (I just made this las...)
Yes! The Chicken Alfredo Lasagna version is one of my all time favorite recipes. I like to make it for guests - unless they happen to be watching their calorie/fat intake!
  Re: Re: 8-Layer Lasagna (2004 - Issue 43) by farnfam (HI tlsulli, I believ...)
Excellent! Yup, that's it! I cannot believe I have been using this recipe for 4 YEARS now. This is how I first discovered Cuisine at Home. A complementary issue came to the house and it was this issue that I discovered 8-Layer Lasagna. I follow it exactly (with the exception I sometimes cheat and use the Barilla No Boil noodles because they fit in my pan so well) and it comes out perfect every time. I use Mario Batali's Deep Dish (cast iron) lasagna pan and it is deep enough to accomdate this recipe just barely and this pan is deep! I sometimes have to give a gentle 'push down' on the top before baking. This recipe freezes & reheats beautifully. For leftovers, we cut up what's left into generous squares and wrap in alluminum foil and then put in freezer bags or in a tupperware with lid. I usually let what we want to cook thaw in the refrigerator for a day and then reheat in the microwave. It doesn't dry out ... that is the beauty of this recipe; at least that is how my experiece has been. Another thing I notice about this recipe is when you bake it and have had it resting for 25-30 minutes, when you are finally ready to serve it doesn't fall apart and morph into a blob of lasagna on your plate. It is a keeper for me! Thanks again for posting. P.S. I just discovered these forums the other day when I became frantic about not finding my issue. I was so desperate to get this recipe I went ahead and ordered the hardcover series for that year before finding the forums.
  Re: Re: 8-Layer Lasagna (2004 - Issue 43) by HomeCulinarian (Yes! The Chicken Alf...)
Thanks. Now I'm just going to make it without testing it first. One day down, two to go.

And by the way, welcome tlsullivan.

(And I think Barilla oven ready sheets are what the recipe calls for.)
Shannon
  Re: Re: 8-Layer Lasagna (2004 - Issue 43) by Dismc (Thanks. Now I'm jus...)
Hmmmmm, if they are oven ready pasta sheets, why must they be parboiled? It made sense when used them to make the spinach and cheese manicotti, they needed to be soft to roll up.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: 8-Layer Lasagna (2004 - Issue 43) by chef_Tab (Hmmmmm, if they are ...)
Even though I've got a couple killer lasagna recipes, including Ranieri's all day version, but I think I'll have to try this one. We LOVE lasagna!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.