OT---Speaking of animal shelters.....
  Re: (...)
All suburbs outside our city have their own animal shelters. After so many days they are taken to the county shelter. There they get a certain number of days to get adopted, or else...

My sweetie-pie hubbie knew that I was still missing my little Gizmo, who has been gone for over a year now. So, last Thursday, he stopped in the county kennel on the way home to take a look around. A certain little dog captured his attention and the next thing I knew, we were adopting "Charlie", a 20 lb. terrier-something who looks just like the original Benji.

There is a holding period on pets that gives their families an extra three days to claim them after they are taken to the county, then they go up for adoption. However, the county won't release them until they have been "altered."

So, last night we finally brought Charlie home and he has settled in with us like he has always been here. He is just the best little dog in the world. Very bright and alert, doesn't bark and is outside potty-trained. Definately a plus for getting a dog that is already about 10 months old.

As you can all imagine, I am positively "over-the-moon" and Ron is pretty happy with this pooch as well. He looks a bit scruffy right now, but as soon as he has been to the beauty shop, I'll post some pics.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: OT---Speaking of animal shelters..... by Mare749 (All suburbs outside ...)
good for you Maryann! Every little life saved is so worth it. I know he must be very grateful to you and will give you a lot of love. I need to hear the happy stories once in a while. I can't wait to see the pictures.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: OT---Speaking of animal shelters..... by chef_Tab (good for you Maryann...)
Quote:

Every little life saved is so worth it.

AMEN! Some friends are BIG Yorkie lovers. They already had a little girl they got as a pup, but then found out about a rescued dog. Bless his heart, he could barely walk, malnourished, and looked pretty beat up and unkempt. He had been abused, so he was not very social, but was a sweet little boy. They took him in, cleaned him up, loved him, and named him Lucky. Lucky lived 5 more years under their loving care. They have since adopted two more rescued Yorkies.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT---Speaking of animal shelters..... by Gourmet_Mom ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Congrats on the new arrival, Maryann!! 10 months old...that'll keep you busy. Looking forward to the pictures.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: OT---Speaking of animal shelters..... by Lorraine (Congrats on the new ...)
OH Maryann, what great news!!! I can't wait to see the pooch pix!

Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: OT---Speaking of animal shelters..... by farnfam (OH Maryann, what gre...)
do not read this jean, do not read this jean, do not.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT---Speaking of animal shelters..... by cjs (do not read this jea...)
Thanks everybody. I'm just having the best time telling everyone on the face of the earth about this dog. We just cannot believe our luck. This dog is so sweet.

Jean, Ron didn't want another dog for the longest time, mainly because he was afraid it would tie us down too much and we like to pick up and go. I'm not sure what changed his mind, but this little doggie just won him over. It doesn't hurt to look.....
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: OT---Speaking of animal shelters..... by Mare749 (Thanks everybody. I...)
I am so happy for you! How great is that, a new pup! Sounds like a match made in heaven!

Rescuing dogs is the most rewarding experience. We've fostered so many - and it's always heartbreaking, but thrilling at the same time! Right now we are down to 3 and the cat; I think that's enough - for now.

Jean - turn your back! There's nothing like a bunch of sloppy little Pug kisses!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!