Search Problems
  Re: (...)
I'm looking for that Butternut Squash recipe that Jean posted, but I can't find it using the search function.

Could someone help me out, please?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Search Problems by BarbaraS (I'm looking for that...)
Here ya go Barb,
BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND LEEK GRATINS

1 butternut squash -- (2-pound) halved lengthwise and seeded
Cooking spray
1 teaspoon butter
4 cups finely chopped leek (about 6 large)
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 Dash ground nutmeg
4 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese -- (1 ounce)

Preheat oven to 375°.
Place squash halves, cut sides down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until tender. Cool 30 minutes. Scoop out pulp, and mash with a potato masher or fork until smooth. (Note: or forget this method and just mash up your leftover squash and go on with recipe.)
Reduce oven temperature to 350°.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; coat pan with cooking spray. Melt butter in pan. Add leek; cover and cook 20 minutes or until tender, stirring once. Reduce heat to medium-low; uncover and cook 10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.

Combine sugar and next 5 ingredients (through egg yolk) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add squash and leek; stir until well combined. Divide the squash mixture evenly among 6 (6-ounce) ramekins or custard cups coated with cooking spray. Place ramekins in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan; add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch. Cover pan with foil; bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover and cook an additional 15 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven, and place the ramekins on a baking sheet.

Sprinkle 2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese over each ramekin.
Preheat broiler.
Broil gratins for 2 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Search Problems by farnfam (Here ya go Barb,[br]...)
Thank you!!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Search Problems by BarbaraS (Thank you!!![br][br]...)
Believe it or not, I STILL have not made those!

Then there's these that I HAVE tried! The first is my all time favorite. The second is the most recent one she posted. Not as rich as the first, but a close second.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Roasted Butternut Squash Penne Al Burro

Recipe By :Jean
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sides and Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter -- room temperature
1/3 cup heavy cream
3 ounces parmesan cheese -- freshly grated
1 pound Butternut squash -- peeled
1 tablespoon Olive oil
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh sage -- freshly minced
salt & pepper
1 pound penne pasta
18 fresh sage -- whole leaves

Preheat oven to 400°.

al Burro sauce:
With a mixer, beat the butter until light & fluffy; add the heavy cream gradually, beating constantly until all cream is added. Add the Parmesan and mix just until blended; cover and reserve.

Butternut Squash:
Put the 1/2" cubes on a baking sheet and toss together with the 1 T. olive oil, minced sage, garlic, and salt & pepper.
Roast in a 400° oven for 15 - 20 min. until tender, turning the pieces once during roasting. Remove from oven and set aside.

Sage Leaves garnish:
Heat a small fry pan with ~1" veggie oil until a couple of drops of water sizzle.
Drop in individual leaves top side down, three or four at a time in the hot oil. After 30-45 seconds, turn over and let just brown; remove quickly with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.

Toast the pine nuts in a dry skillet, if using.

Cook Penne according to pkg. directions, drain.

Finish dish:
Add the penne to the al burro sauce mix together well; add the roasted butternut squash, toss gently to completely mix and season with salt to taste and lots of freshly grated pepper.
Top each plate with additional grated Parmesan cheese and three fried sage leaves and/or pine nuts. And, a little more freshly ground pepper, if desired. Makes 6 servings.

Source:
"Recipe By :a Chef's Journey"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Optional adds: toasted pine nuts

1-12-08 This was wonderful! I will use this often. Serve with lots of fresh cracked pepper. It is very rich and does not need to be used with a heavy entree. I will probably have it with just a salad next time, although it did compliment the roasted chicken stuffed with sage, rosemary, and thyme very well.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Roasted Butternut Squash with Sage and Cranberries

Recipe By :Jean
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 medium butternut squash
4 tablespoons olive oil -- divided
Sea salt and ground pepper
2 medium onions
2 tablespoons sage -- chopped
4 tablespoons dried cranberries -- or cherries

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Peel squash and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds from the center and discard. Cut squash into large chunks. Coat with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste and arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until well caramelized.

Peel onions and cut into large chunks. Coat with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper and spread on a second lined baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until well caramelized. When squash and onions are done, toss with sage and cranberries. Serve immediately.

Description:
""Roasted squash embodies the essence of winter meals, caramelized onions add a piquant touch, and fresh sage and dried cranberries dress it up for the holidays. A versatile side dish that complements anything from a weekday family dinner to a lavish
holid"
Source:
"Whole Foods newsletter"
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=45651&page=0&vc=&PHPSESSID=#Post45651"
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Search Problems by Gourmet_Mom (Believe it or not, I...)
As long as others are contributing additional recipes for butternut squash, here's my favourite:

Code:
Code:
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------+[br]|                          Butternut Squash and Leek Soup                         |[br]+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+[br]|      Ingredients     |   Qty.   |                  Instructions              |[br]+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+[br]| Butternut squash,    | 4 1/2 Lb | Place, cut side down, onto a baking sheet.    |[br]| halved lengthwise    |          | Bake at 350º until tender, about 40 minutes,  |[br]|                      |          | depending upon size of squash.  Let cool      |[br]|                      |          | slightly.  Using a spoon, scrape out and      |[br]|                      |          | discard the seeds.  Scrape the squash from    |[br]|                      |          | the skin.                                      |[br]+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+[br]| Unsalted butter      |   5 T    | Melt in a Dutch oven, over low heat.      |[br]+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+[br]| Leeks (white and     |   4 Lg   | Add to pot and cover.  Cook on low, stirring  |[br]| light green chopped) |          | occasionally, until soft and lightly browned, |[br]| Fresh thyme          | 7 Sprigs | about 40 minutes.  Remove thyme sprigs.      |[br]+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+[br]| Chicken stock        |   5 C    | Stir in to pot.  Stir in squash.  Simmer over |[br]|                      |          | moderate heat for 20 minutes.              |[br]+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+[br]| Salt                 | 1 1/4 t  | In a blender or food processor, purée soup in |[br]| Freshly ground black |  1/2 t   | batches until smooth.  Pour back into pot and |[br]| pepper               |          | season.                                       |[br]+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+[br]| Sour cream           |  1/2 C   | To serve, ladle soup into bowls and garnish   |[br]| Green onion tops or  |   3 T    | each serving with 1 T of sour cream, 1 T of   |[br]| chives, chopped      |          | green onions, and a sprinkling of bacon bits. |[br]| Bacon, fried or      | 8 Slices |                                               |[br]| broiled, crumbled    |          |                                               |[br]+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+

If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Search Problems by labradors (As long as others ar...)
Barbara, when you do a search, do you -

"BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND LEEK GRATINS"

in quotes?

Labs, what kind of a program do you have your recipes in?????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Search Problems by cjs (Barbara, when you do...)
I agree...I'll have to work saving this...LOL! Does sound good though!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Search Problems by cjs (Barbara, when you do...)
Quote:

Labs, what kind of a program do you have your recipes in?????

The ones that I make repeatedly, I type into Excel spreadsheets using a format we used at Wolfgang's. I love that format, and think it makes the procedures much easier to follow. Since I had posted that one somewhere else, before, I had already converted it to plain text (including drawing the "cell borders," myself, using plus signs, minus signs, etc.). Thus, the one I just posted was a transcribed representation of how my recipes look in Excel.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Search Problems by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
(Daphne, don't tell him he's giving me a headache... )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Search Problems by cjs ((Daphne, don't tell ...)
I just searched on the word butternut. The search feature came up with 11 matches.

Barbara