Bread Pudding
  Re: (...)
I have a guest visiting us and she is dying for the bread pudding BUT I have never made one..

Do you have any favorite bread pudding recipes?

Please share.

Thanks
  Re: Bread Pudding by piano226 (I have a guest visit...)
There were several recipes in this thread:
http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...=true#Post65464
Also just go to the bottom of the index page and search "bread pudding" make sure it's in quotes.

Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Bread Pudding by farnfam (There were several r...)
Hi Marina!! Good to see you. This one is my favorite I think - although the others listed on the page Cis sent you to are all good also

Apple Cheddar Bread Pudding

4 eggs
2 cups whole milk
1 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon plus more to sprinkle
1/8 teaspoon salt
7 slices firm white bread (crusts removed, cut into cubes)
1 large apple (peeled, cored and cubed)
2/3 cup grated cheddar cheese (preferably Vermont)

Oven to 350. Butter an 8 inch square pan. In large bowl whisk eggs - add sugar, milk, melted butter, cinnamon and salt. Whisk again until sugar is dissolved. Add bread, apple and cheese and gently stir to combine. Put in buttered dish and bake 35 - 40 minutes until golden and set all the way through. Dust with additional cinnamon and serve warm with warmed New Hampshire Maple Syrup. Dust with confectioner sugar.

---

Just a P.S. - I don't know why most bread pudding recipes ask for the crusts to be removed, I just love them left on. (personal opinion. )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bread Pudding by cjs (Hi Marina!! Good to ...)
I can SOOOO vouch for Jean's pudding!! It has been requested at the next staff meeting again. I was so happy I made 2 of them because they were scarfed down fast

Jean what do think about adding small slices of sausage links?
  Re: Re: Bread Pudding by DFen911 (I can SOOOO vouch fo...)
Hi,

Thank you all...decisions decisions decisions...I also found this one that I might make in the near future.

http://www.recipezaar.com/bread-pudding-...auce-12377
  Re: Re: Bread Pudding by piano226 (Hi,[br][br]Thank you...)
Denise, do you remove the crusts for bread pudding?

I'll let others comment on the one you found Marina, I'm just not a great orangie fan.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bread Pudding by cjs (Denise, do you remov...)
Jean yes I do...unless it's a french loaf...the ones I get the crust is not what I expect a french loaf to be, but soft.
  Re: Re: Bread Pudding by DFen911 (Jean yes I do...unle...)
I make a bread pudding out of breakfast danish or cinnamon rolls. I cube up the 8 rolls and pack them into a 8x8 inch greased pan. Then I mix up 2 cups of half and half, 2eggs, 1/4-/1/2 c sugar, 1/2 t vanilla. Pour this over the cubed rolls and let it soak in, using a fork to poke them under the mixture. Place this pan into a 9x13 inch pan and place in the oven. Pour water into the bigger pan to make a water bath. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Take out and make a butter, sugar rum sauce to put on top of the serving. The local restaurant charges $5.99 a serving for this. Cheaper to make your own!!!
  Re: Re: Bread Pudding by Barbarainnc (I make a bread puddi...)
(better too)
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bread Pudding by cjs ((better too)...)
I learned to make bread pudding when I took cooking classes in New Orleans. There is nothing better. The more eggs the more custard-y (is that a word?. I use a good french bread, challah or brioche, cream and lots of eggs. Throw in some raisins, a little coconut, a few pecans. I love using the cinnamon apples from Honey Baked Ham store, either in the pudding or as a sauce. Season liberally with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, etc. Use what you like, use what you have on hand. Traditionally this was peasant food, you used what the pantry held. Hard sauce or creme anglese for topping.
Think I will make one for Thanksgiving dessert. It is so easy and nothing tastes better.