Kitchen Accident
  Re: (...)
Well the climax to our Christmas day was no fun. We were taking a standing rib roast out of the oven when something popped (no water anywhere) and sprayed grease in Janes face and a little on me. She had to go to the ER and has ended up with mild 2nd degree burns, redness, swelling, peeling and pain. She will be fine and the doc said he does not expect scarring.

Jane wanted to use silvadeen but the docs said it would cause discoloration and to just use aloevera and ice. Has anyone had experience with silvadeen?
She is fine, just in some pain.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Kitchen Accident by Old Bay (Well the climax to o...)
Such a shame. I am glad she is going to be okay. Not the way to end Christmas. Gotta agree with the aloe and ice. Ibuprofen helps with any swelling as well as some of the discomfort.

How was the roast? Know it wasn't the main thing on your mind but were you able to have it? Or is it destined for left overs in the thread Jean posted about left overs?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Kitchen Accident by firechef (Such a shame. I am ...)
Oh my, Bill that is just awful!!! When she'll let you get near her, give her a big hug from us. How scary that must have been.

I've been so damned lucky over the years - even when I dropped a pan with three prime ribs, I didn't get burned - and I'm not familiar with silvadeen, but I always have aloevera on hand.

Wow, I'm still thinking about how bad this could have been for Jane.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Wow!! I am so happy for you both it wasn't more serious!!

I'm thinking that the next time I'm taking out a roast from the oven that has grease in the roasting pan, to just sacrifice a kitchen towel and cover it until it's out and stabilized on a surface.

Getting sprayed with hot grease is awful.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Kitchen Accident by cjs (Oh my, Bill that is ...)
Oh my, Bill! What a freaky accident. I'm glad Jane's going to be okay. I can't imagine the pain she must be in though. Sending hugs and prayers that she will be feeling well soon.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Kitchen Accident by Gourmet_Mom (Oh my, Bill! What a...)
That must have been pretty scary. I'm glad she's ok!
  Re: Re: Kitchen Accident by Trixxee (That must have been ...)
Hope it all works out okay. Keep us posted.

If I remember correctly from a bad burn I had gotten on my hand, the silvadene can especially cause discolouration if the treated area is not kept out of certain lighting conditions, particularly sunlight. It's essentially the same, general way by which photographic processes work (i.e. a reaction of silver with the light). I'm not sure how much of a chance there is of discolouration in otherwise-covered skin, but maybe your doctor feels there would be no good way to keep the affected area sufficiently covered.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
OMG! I'm so glad that Jane is okay. Burns are so scary - and the docs were right; ice and aloe vera are great for burns. I keep a waterjel burn kit in a drawer by the stove - I'm such a klutz.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Kitchen Accident by firechef (Such a shame. I am ...)
Quote:

Such a shame.  I am glad she is going to be okay.  Not the way to end Christmas.  Gotta agree with the aloe and ice.  Ibuprofen helps with any swelling as well as some of the discomfort.  How was the roast?  Know it wasn't the main thing on your mind but were you able to have it?  Or is it destined for left overs in the thread Jean posted about left overs?

The roast was very good--she is having a rare piece of that "da_n" roast with fine Yorkshire pudding/au jus and a twice baked potato (now thrice baked) for lunch.  She didn't get any last nite.  She may have a cab thru a straw.
She had a Comeraderie Malbec. Really good.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Kitchen Accident by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I'm glad she's well enough to eat...poor thing. I'd say pass the whole bottle over to her with a big long straw!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.