Recipe Search!!!!!!
  Re: (...)
Hello I am looking for Brined Pork Roast with pears...Please share this wonderful recipe.
Thanks, Elyse
  Re: Recipe Search!!!!!! by elysew (Hello I am looking f...)
Sorry Elyse, I don't have it for you, but hang on and someone else might be able to help you. In the meantime, enjoy some of the other posts and don't hesitate to jump in and introduce yourself. We love new faces! Welcome!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Recipe Search!!!!!! by elysew (Hello I am looking f...)
Elyse,

Brined Pork Loin with Mahogany Pears (issue #29, October 2001)

For the Roast -
Trim, soak in brine:
1 center cut, eight-rib, pork loin chined, cracked and frenched

Sear in; Roast:
1/4 cup olive oil

Pork Roast Brine:

(makes 2 quarts)

Dissolve in 2-gallon freezer bag:
2 cups hot water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup kosher salt

Add:
12 cloves garlic
1/4 cup black peppercorns, crushed
10 whole cloves
5 bay leaves, crumbled

Add:
6 cups ice water

For the pears -
Toss with 2T. Olive Oil; Roast:
8 large shallots, peeled and split
4 bosc pears, cored, cut into eighths

Combine; add to pears:
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1 T. fresh ginger, chopped
1 T. chopped fresh rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste

Garnish with:
Fresh rosemary sprigs

In a two-gallon bag, dissolve salt and sugar in hot water. Add seasonings while mixture is hot to release flavors. Massage the bag to mix thoroughly ane ensure all salt and sugar are dissolved.

Add ice water to chill brine below 45 degree. Submerge pork, squeeze out air, and secure bag. Refrigerate 1-24 hours. While brining, occasionally jiggle the bag to stir up the ingredients.

When brined, remove roast and pat dry with paper towels. You can leave the peppercorns. Roast may be wrapped and held in refigerator until ready to finish frenching and start cooking.

Remove raised membrane that surround the bones. Use paper towels to grip and pull. Although you brined, it'll still be hard to remove so you'll have to scrape bones with back of a knife.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Heat oil in roasting pan over medium-high heat until shimmering, not smoking. Sear all but the chine side of the roast, including ends.

Place un-seared chine side down and roast for 30 minutes. The roast should read 120 degrees and the bottom (unseared side) should be turning golden brown.

Now add the oil-coated pears and shallots. Keep pears on flat sides for browning. Check roast's internal temp every 10 minutes until it hits 145 degrees.

When temperature reaches 145, transfer roast to carving board and tent loosely with foil. Let rest 10-15 minutes then check for final read of 152-155 degrees.

While roast rests, add syrup mixture to the pan of pears and shallots. Mix and return to carmenlize about 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally.

To slice, stand the ribs up. Place carving knife next to the edge of the second rib. Before slicing, look to see that the angle of the knife clears any uncracked bones.

Carve the meat using minimal sawing motion. Use only one or two strokes to prevent wavy cuts. End cuts may be less equal in size than the middle portions.

Note: The first 6 steps of this recipe deal with trimming and frenching the roast. The reason why I didn't include them is because you really need to see the pics associated with the steps.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Recipe Search!!!!!! by BarbaraS (Elyse,[br][br]Brined...)
Welcome to the forum, Elyse. Enjoy!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Recipe Search!!!!!! by BarbaraS (Elyse,[br][br]Brined...)
Barbara,
Thank you so much for the recipe!! I can't wait to try it out... I appreciate your effort
Thanks again!!
Elyse
  Re: Re: Recipe Search!!!!!! by Mare749 (Sorry Elyse, I don't...)
Maryann
Thanks for the welcome... You were right, a wonderful person did come through with the recipe... YES!!! Cant' wait to try it...
Elyse
  Re: Re: Recipe Search!!!!!! by elysew (Maryann[br]Thanks fo...)
Welcome Elyse, glad you could meet you and hope you join us often.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Recipe Search!!!!!! by elysew (Barbara, [br]Thank y...)
Elyse,

You're welcome for the recipe and welcome to the board!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Recipe Search!!!!!! by BarbaraS (Elyse,[br][br]You're...)
Hello Elyse! Welcome to our little family. I hope you will join us when you can.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Recipe Search!!!!!! by Gourmet_Mom (Hello Elyse! Welcom...)
Nice to see another new face here--WELCOME

Hope to see you around---please let us know what you think of that recipe---I thought it was pretty good!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy