From an old hard cover Bon' Appetit--for Rosemarie--

1/4 stick unsalted butter
2 T all purpose flour
1/2 t Dijon mustard
Salt
Cayenne pepper
3/4 C milk, room temp
2 T whipping cream
Make a light roux with the flour and butter over low heat stirring constantly until bubbly. Remove from heat--add mustard, pinch of salt and the pepper. Slowly stir in milk. Place over med heat and cook, stirring until mixture bubbles and thickens. Add cream and test for seasonings-adjust if necessery. Cover and chill until very thick and firm. About 2 hrs.

1 C breadrumbs
1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 t dry mustard
1 lb cooked and cleaned lobster, crab, shrimp, halibut, or any combination in bite size chunks
1/2 lb phyllo astry sheets
1/2 C grated Swiss cheese
2 hard cooked eggs, chopped
3/4 C sour cream
1/2 C chopped parsley
1/2 C diced shallots
1/4 C chopped chives
2 large garlic cloves minced
3/4 C unsalted butter melted
2 T chopped parsley
2 T grated parmesan cheese, minced parsley, and seafood claws for garnish.

Prehat oven to 375: butter a baking sheet. Combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan and dry mustard in a small bowl. Place phyllo on the baking sheet and layer seafood evenly, leaving an inch at each end for closing the roll. Sprinlke with Swiss cheese and chopped egg. Dot with sour cream. Sprinkle with parsley, shallots, chives and minced garlic. Dot with chilled sauce. Roll like a jelly role or make into a loaf, (original recipe looked like a fish loaf cooked like a wellington) and tuck in ends. Brush with melted butter-bake 12 min. Remove from oven and brush with more melted butter. Slice diagonally with a serrated knife into 1 &1/2 inch pieces--push slces together to reform loaf. Add parsley to remaining butter and brush again. Bake another 35 to 40 min, brushing with butter 3 more times until crisp and golden brown--serve on a heated platter and garnish.
Really rich and good!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Seafood Strudel by Old Bay (From an old hard cov...)
Very Very nice!
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
Thank You Bill. This sounds perfect. Which issue was this in? I would like to see the picture if I have that one.
rosie
Omigosh, this sounds good! Thanks for posting.
  Re: Re: Seafood Strudel by ktsrosie (Thank You Bill. This...)
Quote:

Thank You Bill. This sounds perfect. Which issue was this in? I would like to see the picture if I have that one.

It was from a hard cover set published in the 70's--we've tossed it after copying the best recipies. I can fax you the picture we saved if you can give me a fax number.
Two questions, please, Old Bay:

1. Are the phyllo sheets separated and buttered as they're put on the sheet pan?

2. About how many servings does this make, 6 or 8 maybe?

Just checking to see if my assumptions are correct.
  Re: Re: Seafood Strudel by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
My fax machine hasn't worked for over a year and I haven't replaced it. I have some old issues from the 70's I'll check through those.Thanks again.
rosie
  Re: Re: Seafood Strudel by sophia (Two questions, pleas...)
The recipe does not say to seperate and butter the sheets, but we did. 6 to 8 servings is right.
  Re: Re: Seafood Strudel by Old Bay (The recipe does not ...)
Bill, this sounds awesome! I can't wait to try it. I sounds a little like the Alexander Sauce I make, but thicker and wrapped in phyllo. If so, it is going to be awesome!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Seafood Strudel by Old Bay (The recipe does not ...)
Quote:

The recipe does not say to seperate and butter the sheets, but we did. 6 to 8 servings is right.

Thanks, O.B. I can hardly wait to try this one.