Oatmeal Ideas?
  Re: (...)
I am trying to eat oatmeal for breakfast lately due to its health benefits but need some help. I'm not a big fan of sweet breakfasts - sugar, all that stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions of ways to make oatmeal good but with non-sweet choices? Is it weird to try things like cheese (not a lot but some for flavor and protein)? I googled it of course, and saw things like eggs, but raw eggs? I put salt on it this AM and it was better than plain, but still lacking...
  Re: Oatmeal Ideas? by carolekv (I am trying to eat o...)
Hi Carole,

I add toasted sliced almonds, dried cranberies, dried blueberries, and flaxseed to mine. it's not too sweet.

I can remember spreading it on a piece of buttered toast when I was a kid.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Oatmeal Ideas? by BarbaraS (Hi Carole,[br][br]I ...)
You might like to put some yogurt in it. My familly loves it like that.....well, as much as you can love oatmeal
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Oatmeal Ideas? by farnfam (You might like to pu...)
I did an overnight oatmeal in the crockpot that my grandbabies loved. It had chopped walnuts, sliced apples, and brown sugar. If you left out the brown sugar, it wouldn't be very sweet, but might be okay.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Oatmeal Ideas? by Mare749 (I did an overnight o...)
Maryann - could you please post your crockpot oatmeal recipe? I don't have one and that sounds good.
I saw this on FoodGawker this a.m. and it sounded so good I think we'll have it for breakfast this weekend.

Apricot Cranberry Oatmeal

Ingredients

* 2 cups water
* 2 cups reduced-fat milk
* 1 cup Irish steel-cut oats
* 1 pinch salt
* 1/2 cup apple juice
* 1/2 cup dried apricots, diced
* 1/4 cup dried cranberries
* 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
* Honey, as needed
* Cinnamon, as needed
* Cream, as needed

Preparation

Bring water and milk to a boil in a medium saucepan.
Add oats and salt, stirring frequently until mixture comes back to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring apple juice to a boil in a small saucepan. Add apricots and cranberries; cook a few minutes or until plump.
Portion piping-hot oatmeal into 4 bowls and sprinkle evenly with plumped fruit and toasted walnuts.
Serve with honey, cinnamon, and cream to add as needed.

I have another one with dried apricots and honey that was very very good too.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Quote:

Does anyone have any suggestions of ways to make oatmeal good but with non-sweet choices?

Maybe chipotle powder? LOL!

Then again, why not? If there can be savory bread pudding, and jalapeƱo ice cream, why not chipotle oatmeal? Of course, you'd have to start with the plain stuff, not with the oatmeal that comes prepackaged with brown sugar, cinnamon, etc.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
"I am trying to eat oatmeal for breakfast lately due to its health benefits but need some help. I'm not a big fan of sweet breakfasts - sugar, all that stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions of ways to make oatmeal good but with non-sweet choices?"

I have been wrestling with this same problem! I even tried making my own granola type bars that were not sweet and have not had huge success. It just occured to me though, that I might try adding almond butter. Flax seed is also an excellent suggestion.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Oatmeal Ideas? by chef_Tab ("I am trying to eat ...)
Fried Oatmeal

Make the regular cook and serve. I make enough to serve 6-8. Take a bread loaf pan and coat it with butter. Put the oatmeal into the prepared pan and chill overnight. The next morning put it into a hot water bath to loosen it. Slice it into whatever thickness you desire and cook it in butter. Yum

The traditional way to eat oatmeal is with salt and pepper not sugar

I also found this on another site -

So here it is Serves 2-3 Preparation time, including cutting veggies- 20 minutes. Ingredients: 4 heaped (approx 40 grams)tablespoons plain (unflavored) oatmeal, soaked in cold water for 10 minutes 1 leek, chopped 1 red/yellow pepper, cut into juliennes 1 medium onion, chopped a handful of fresh spinach, chopped fine handful of cilantro leaves, chopped fine 1-2 chili peppers, chopped fine (optional) a small piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped fine 1 juicy medium tomato, chopped coarsely Olive oil, to sautee Paprika powder 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (optional) salt to taste Method: Take 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan and sautee the ginger root, chili peppers (optional), leek, onion, colored pepper and chopped spinach. When the onions turn golden brown, add the cumin seed and let it sautee as well. Also add the paprika powder and some salt at this time. When these are done, add the chopped tomatoes and let it sautee a little bit, so the raw taste goes away. Then add the soaked oatmeal, and some water, and mix everything well. Adjust salt and paprika to your preference. Cook till the water has almost evaporated and the pilaf has a thick consistency. Serve hot.
  Re: Re: Oatmeal Ideas? by DFen911 (Fried Oatmeal [img]/...)
Quote:

... Paprika powder ... chili peppers...

See? I wasn't too far off with my chipotle.

BTW, that recipe says, "Olive oil, to sautee Paprika powder," "add the paprika powder," and "Adjust salt and paprika," but never actually lists paprika as an ingredient, and never gives a quantity.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?